Optional field are required in Omada SDN 5.7.4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-02 22:11:55
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.7.4

So this is tricky ...

When controller seen first time any device this field is filled by MAC address, why this same behavior is not made when field is empty? and why there is optional comment?

+20y experience in Linux/UNIX, +12y VMware, +10y as network admin, +8y as AIX admin (professional) I really know what is going on at background, please don't try to cheat me TP-Link :)
Options
4 Reply
Re:Optional field are required in Omada SDN 5.7.4
2023-01-04 18:36:37

@DREEMus 

This has to do with the client device. Not all clients broadcast their network ID properly. In those cases you may have a hostname set, but the device doesn't broadcast it as the network id. Omada is configured to list the device by it's mac for its name in those cases. It would be nice if it used the hostname for that, but not all devices broadcast the hostname either. This mostly applies to wireless devices as wired devices normally broadcast the hostname as the network ID. Though some wired devices do let you set a network id different then the host name.

Options
2023-01-04 21:32:09

@ian_682 

I can't agreed with you. This device (wireless) broadcast hostname normally, but when you clear this field it should be filled by Omada with MAC for example. This filed shouln'd be mark as option, when it's required to filled manually (when cleared). This is the case. Who put there "optional"?

+20y experience in Linux/UNIX, +12y VMware, +10y as network admin, +8y as AIX admin (professional) I really know what is going on at background, please don't try to cheat me TP-Link :)
Options
2023-01-05 03:37:41 - last edited 2023-01-05 03:41:11

It's because there isn't a real DNS server built into omada. It does not have the logic, if you will, to read the device hostname just the broadcast device ID. If that is not configured by the device, omada doesn't know what it should be and just assigns the make as the device name. Lots of devices set the device id for the nic to be the same as the hostname, but lots do not. This is a known issue with omada. This is most commonly an issue with wifi devices. As far as omada goes, this field give you the option for a "sudo dns", though it only works for record keeping and in no way functions as real DNS. It just lets you set a friendly name for devices that it isn't smart enough to figure out the hostname for, while defaulting to the mac so you can find out what device it is.  The field should still display the device mac in the clients list, that is at least how it works for me. Maybe you cleared it on accident?

Options
2023-01-05 12:00:44

@ian_682 

So so, if yhos field is optional, and i don't provide any name there Omada should put there MAC address as they do at first time. This is the logic, or they (developers) should remove "optional" from frontend.

Options