TP-Link EAP wall vs ceiling

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-11 11:46:00
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

If both are mounted on a wall,  do the EAP ceiling units provide better area coverage than the wall units?  (disregarding the signal on the floor above and below)

I am replacing wall mounted APs where new install locations are not an option.  I would like to get same or better coverage than the old equipment.  

Summary:  

Replacing    Mikrotik wAP RBwAP2nD wall mounted  with EAP615-wall

Must install the new EAP units at same wall locations.  Ceiling is not an option

Coverage:  each AP must cover an open area as big as 2 hotel rooms

After reading several reviews, it appears that EAP wall units are designed for hotel rooms (low coverage and low roaming on purpose)

Now I am thinking that ceiling mount APs will give me better coverage even when they are wall mounted. 

When installed on a wall, can TP-Link EAP225 | Omada AC1350 still have better coverage than EAP615-wall?

Options
5 Reply
Re:TP-Link EAP wall vs ceiling
2023-01-11 13:58:27

@vivetech 

To me either way you will get signal... thats the #1 concern. Getting good signal regardless of the type of AP.

I like IN-Walls my self, but sometimes you will have to utilize both.  

I would do a wireless site survey on your building to confirm the signal will splash properly!

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-01-11 14:42:38

@KimcheeGUN 

Any suggestions on how to do a survey?  I'll probably put a device at each location to test. 

Do you recommend any heat map apps? 

Options
2023-01-11 16:48:36

@vivetech 

Download Acrylic Free Wifi Scanner:

( acrylicwifi dot com /en/wifi-scanner ) 

Fire up an AP with a test SSID.  Put it on a cart with a UPS.  Pick certain a spot where to start,  keep the cart stationary, and walk around and look at where the signal lays.  Move to the next spot.  

Once you hit about -65 on the 2.4, I would put another AP.  

BUT this will give you an idea of how the signal lays in the buildings and IF you need ceiling or in walls.

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-01-11 18:16:30
My understanding is that any of the indoor units broadcast signal in a spherical pattern, with the stronger signal generally projected downward. That may simply be because when something is ceiling mounted, there's matter/material immediately above the EAP, so its range will probably be shortened somewhat (in an upward direction) by that alone. The wall mounted units are probably a similar story...if you mount them to a wall, my bet is that the signal out in front is better than the signal behind the EAP. Walls tend to vary widely, you never know what's behind them (electrical wiring, piping, etc.). Best bet with any AP is get it up high and project the strongest signal downward.
Hybrid OPNsense/Omada EAP Cat6 backhaul 4 x EAP670 1 x EAP610-Outdoor Omada Controller v5.14.0.10 Win 11 Router: OPNsense Intel N5105 quad-core I226V 2.5Gbe w/16GB RAM Dual WAN Fios/Spectrum 1Gbps
Options
2023-01-12 00:08:01

@KimcheeGUN 

Thanks for the tip I will try the app.  I really don't have mounting locations for this project but at lease I can see range between wall and ceiling units.  

@Shoresy 

I suppose it depends on the max ceiling height the AP is designed for.  If its adequate for a warehouse ceiling,  I would be content with the range mounted on the wall.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2892

Replies: 5

Related Articles