website blocking on smart switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-13 08:17:49
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.6 Build 20200805 Rel.55968

i just purchased this smart switch but i want to ask......

1. is it possible to restrict certain websites on the network through the switch?

2. can i allow certain websites to run and restricts others?

thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:website blocking on smart switch
2023-01-16 10:48:22 - last edited 2023-01-16 10:48:36

@kornellz101 

Hey

Unfortunately no is the answer :(

Without going into too much detail, switches dont understand IP addresses / URLS required for internet traffic.  This job is done by the Router itself, the switch just facilitates the data getting to the Router, then the router does the internet look-ups.

Therefore swtiches cannot block / restrict internet traffic, this has to be done at the router side.  

Your ISP router may be able to do this for you, most can in fairness or you can buy / build devices for restricting internet access.

Options
2023-01-16 12:19:03

@kornellz101 

I think you need to set URL Filtering on your router, not on the switch.

As I known, switches generally only work on Layer 2 or Layer 3.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-01-19 21:28:07

@kornellz101 Just a side note...

There is an option for URL Filtering in OMADA for EAPs. I tried it about a month ago and it did block but some sites were able to work around it. When I saw your post I looked into it again and it seems that URL Filtering is broken completely now.  Anyway if your connection are over EAPs in Omada, and if they fix it, it might be of some use.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 233

Replies: 3