Amazon Echo devices repeatedly losing connectivity after migrating to TP-Link Omada radios

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Amazon Echo devices repeatedly losing connectivity after migrating to TP-Link Omada radios

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-23 15:18:41
Model: EAP660 HD  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.11

Good morning,

I recently migrated my network to the EAP660's from TP-Link along with the controller (OC200) and ever since, my Amazon Echo devices randomly disconnect from the network and won't reconnect until I *physically reset & reconnect* them to the Alexa app.  A simple power cycle doesn't do it.

The network configuration is basic, and fairly identical to what it was before:  WPA2-PSK, nothing crazy.

This behavior is new since I installed TP-Link and wasn't present when using my Ruckus devices.  

Can anyone tell me if there's a fix for this, or do I need to pull this gear out and go back to something else?

Thanks

Options
6 Reply
Re:Amazon Echo devices repeatedly losing connectivity after migrating to TP-Link Omada radios
2023-01-23 19:29:34 - last edited 2023-01-24 12:55:19

@Hedobum  With the issue happening with only the Amazon Echoes, I would suspect a compatibility issue, for lack of a better term, between the Echoes and the APs.  There may be a simple fix worth pursuing, especially if you are satisfied with the rest of the networks performance.  Maybe check for firmware updates on the Echoes.

Having said that.....not to be a Debbie downer but... here it goes anyway. 

I built a full TPLink Omada Network for our RV Park, which is very straight forward, and I have had nothing but trouble. Nothing works as expected. In a smaller network it may not be a problem. The network I built is not large by any means. Its an OC200, TL-SG2210MP Switch, Root EAP610-OD with 4 Meshed EAP225-OD, each 225 linked to the EAP610. When its working its not bad but nothing to write home about either. If anything happens that requires a reboot, its a roll of the dice whether the network will come back up normally. Something as simple as adding one 2.4ghz SSID to the wireless network, that had nothing to do with the MESH, sent all of the APs into isolation and it took hard resets to get them back. I literally start drinking each time it comes close for monthly reboot. Sometimes I skip it if things are going ok.

If you are within the return window of the hardware I would return it. I live in the RV Park  where I built the network, and the performance and reliability concern was enough that I installed my own wireless hardware to bypass TPlink Wireless. It cost more but has operated flawlessly with superior performance and I have not had to touch it since initial install.

Options
Re:Amazon Echo devices repeatedly losing connectivity after migrating to TP-Link Omada radios
2023-01-24 13:20:37

@Hedobum 

BY chance have you looked at the signal strength of the client?  

With the migration to different radios and antenna patterns... you may have created a low signal area or a dead spot.  

Those devices have very small wifi antennas in them.  

Just food for thought.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-01-24 14:53:20
Thanks...I wish I was within my return window for sure. I was hoping these guys would be close to what I was looking for, but I guess not.
Options
2023-01-24 15:06:34

Thanks for the reply. 

I am certainly familiar with the havoc new radios & radiation patterns can create.  This isn't isolated to a single device, this is ALL of them.  They don't disconnect together, either.  They disconnect one at a time, every few days until all 15 of them have disappeared and won't reconnect unless I factory reset them and re-add them to the app.

Options
2023-01-24 15:07:11

This is an incompatibility with something TP-Link is doing, which is god knows what.  I guess I'm going to have to rip it all out & give another vendor a try.  I've turned off everything from band steering to fast roaming & 11k, its as basic a configuration as I can imagine at this point.  

I saw someone suggest that removing the controller solved their issue, but that would create roaming issues for me so that idea...not my favorite.  

Does anyone from TP-Link view these forums?

Options
2023-01-24 15:40:09 - last edited 2023-01-24 15:43:15

@Hedobum The chime in now and then but I never expect a response directly from them. If you go to the support section of the tp-link.com for your region, there is usually a CHAT at bottom right. I have always gotten a response there, although I think they are in a different time zone so the response is usually later.

By chance do you have the Force-Disassociation option checked under roaming options? If so try disabling that and see what results you get. I had that enabled at one point and clients were dropping and not reconnecting.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 472

Replies: 6

Related Articles