switch wont accept multiple vlans from cisco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-29 10:25:35 - last edited 2023-01-29 13:21:37
Model: TL-SG105E  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20220414 Rel.50349

Hello!

A short description, from a cisco 2960 i've tried created a trunk carrying 3 vlans(200/500/600) and vlan 1 as native.

For starters i configured the tp-link to include all ports on all vlans as untagged just to get it upp and running but a soon as i activated the trunk on the cisco the tp wont connect anymore. It indicates that it is connected but neither the switch ip or any devices connected to it are reachable.

After that i went into troubleshooting, firstly just enabling the port on the cisco as a normal vlan-port cycling through the vlans and in that case the tp connected.

Made sure dot1q encapsulation was active and as the cisco only is able to use the dot1q i also ruled that out.

The next thing i did was to only allow VLAN 1 on the trunk and use that as a native and the tp connects fine.

So status at this point is, port connected to the tp on the cisco is configured as trunk, VLAN 1 is the only one allows and is native.

Now i tried to allow another vlan(200) on the trunk and the tp immediately takes a dive and wont connect, if i remove 200 from allowed the connection goes back up again.

Also tried only allowing another VLAN ie 200 and setting that as native on the cisco but the tp doesnt connect in that case either.

Any help in this matter are appreciated as im somewhat stuck.

Options
6 Reply
Re:switch wont accept multiple vlans from cisco
2023-01-29 13:17:08

@TomasTheSwede 

If the port on the CISCO side is a trunk with VLAN 1 native, UNTAG the TP-Link port in VLAN 1 and TAG in the other VLANs. Also, set its PVID to 1. I’m not sure if your CISCO switch supports the General mode in addition to Trunk and Access, but if it does, you make like to use that mode instead of Trunk and configure the CISCO port exactly the same way as the TP-Link port.

Kris K
Options
2023-01-29 13:21:03

@KJK 

Thanks for your response, turned out to be a loop-prevention in the TP who got triggered by the addition of vlan to the trunk on the cisco.

I believe this addition generated an announcement from the cisco which led the TP to see a loop in vlan a can reach vlan b which can reach vlan a and so forth.

This thread is solved

Options
2023-05-21 16:34:36

@KJK 

I hate to hijack threads but can you elaborate this a bit ?

I create VLAN 10 and 20 on my Sophos XG

The Sophos XG is connected over a LAG to the TP-Link Switch and from the TP-LINK i want to connect 

a other switch - is a cisco sg-350 - i cant get the tp-link to pass trough the vlans to the cisco 

The Cisco ports are configured as trunk ports - but how can i configure the tp-link right with the new gui ?

Options
2023-05-21 18:26:39

@h3llfire 

If you have a LAG in a VLAN environment, you need to configure the LAG for VLANs. The VLAN configuration of individual ports that are part of a LAG does not matter at all. The VLAN rules for ports and LAGs are the same.

Kris K
Options
2023-05-21 21:41:31 - last edited 2023-05-21 21:43:08

@KJK 

when i provisioning an VLAN to an Device on the tp-link is everything clear 

here are an example of an Port Config for an specific device 

i setup the port 21 as untagged an as tagged port i select the trunk to the sophos xg firewall

as PVID i set PVID 10 for the Port 21 

Here is no Problem the vlan provisioning works , but how the TP-LINK trunks the VLANS to the Cisco Switch

On the new Gui there is no Trunk-Mode anymore (on old gui there was the trunk mode for port config)  

the cisco switch can also used general trunk mode (i´ll tried that too , but so far I am not able to reach VLANS via the

TP-LINK on the Cisco switch 
(I have of course set up the VLANS on the Cisco) 

Options
2023-05-21 23:14:17

You define the ‘trunk’ ports the same way on both sides. That, of course, needs to match the Sophos side to work.

You can define the CISCO port as a trunk port. In your example, its native VLAN would need to be set to 10 since your untagged port is in VLAN 10. Best, define the CISCO port as general and set it up the same way as the TP-Link port. I do not understand your difficulty of doing that. Untagged 10, Tagged 1, PVID 10 for your example. That’s all. Again, that needs to match the Sophos side.

Kris K
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 749

Replies: 6