Coaxial Cable to Ethernet Adapters

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-05 16:43:48
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20220512 Rel.76748

My TP-Link hardware:

What Is It Model Version Firmware
Router ER605(UN) v1.6 1 1.2.1 Build 20220512 Rel.76748
Access Point EAP225(US) v4.0 5.0.8 5.0.8 Build 20220613 Rel. 51936
Switch TL-SG2210P(UN) v3.26 3.2 3.20.8 Build 20221130 Rel.42340
Arris SBg10      

For two months I have been unsuccessful to have my devices work with Omada. I believe my problem is two routers on the my network. The ER605 and Arris SBG10. They remain managed locally. Anytime I have tried to turn off DHCP on the Arris or put it in Bridged mode I loose all networking capabilities. I'm stuck with it due to my internet coming in as coax.

My internet service provider is Xfinity. They have a monopoly where I live right below Chattanooga, TN.

Would it help to purchase an Ethernet Over Coax device? For example, the details of one on Amazon for $100 are below. 

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Hitron Bonded MoCA 2.5 Adapter for Ethernet Over Coax (2-Pack) | 1 Gbps Ethernet, 2.5 Gbps Over existing Coax Cable | Ideal Backbone for Mesh WiFi, Streaming and Gaming | 2 HTEM4 MoCA Adapters in Kit

Brand    Hitron
Hardware Interface    Ethernet
Color    black
Compatible Devices    Desktop
Data Link Protocol    Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet
Data Transfer Rate    1 Gigabits Per Second
About this item
GET BETTER WIFI. Increase the speed (up to 1 Gbps) between your WiFi Router and Access Point by connecting one Coax to Ethernet Adapter to your Router and another to a WiFi Extender or Access Point in another room.
CONVERT COAX WIRING INTO A "1 GBPS ETHERNET PIPE" to connect your router to any WiFi Ethernet device such as WiFi Mesh, WiFi Streaming Boxes etc using the HTEM4 MoCA Adapter with each device.
NO WIRES TO RUN. NO CONFIGURATION. The HTEM4 Coaxial Cable to Ethernet Adapters create an instant 2.5 Gbps MoCA network that provides Gigabit speeds to all of your connected devices - no running wires, no drilling holes.
INCLUDES TWO COAX CABLES. You will no longer need to go hunting for another Coax cable. This kit includes everything you need to setup and create a MoCA (Ethernet over Coax) Network.
PLUG N PLAY SETUP. Simply connect this Coax to Ethernet Adapter to any coax outlet and into your WiFi router or access point. Two MoCA ethernet adapters automatically complete your MoCA LAN network connection.
EASY TO EXPAND YOUR NETWORK. Add an additional HT-EM4 Ethernet to Coax Adapter to connect any new Ethernet devices in the future. Connect up to 16 devices on your network!
COMPATIBLE WITH ANY DEVICE WITH AN ETHERNET PORT. This includes HDTV, personal computers, Xbox, PlayStation, streaming HD audio and media, and more. Not compatible with satellite TV or AT&T U-verse Coax networks.
CARRIER-GRADE TESTED & APPROVED by major Cable Internet Providers. Hitron is a trusted manufacturer of broadband networking equipment for Cable Service Providers like Comcast, Cox, and Charter.
GET BETTER WIFI, BETTER GAMING, BETTER STREAMING. This coax adapter to ethernet creates a wired, Ethernet over coax (MoCA) network which is superior to wireless for reliability, faster speeds, lower latency and security.

https://www.amazon.com/Hitron-Ethernet-existing-Backbone-Streaming/dp/B08MQG6T61/ref=sr_1_14?crid=U7S8ENN3O16F&keywords=ethernet%2Bover%2Bcoax%2Btp-link&qid=1675614256&sprefix=ethernet%2Bover%2Bcoax%2Btp-link%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-14&th=1

Options
6 Reply
Re:Coaxial Cable to Ethernet Adapters
2023-02-05 18:25:10

@SysopChris 

Do not buy a MoCA adapter. It is useless in this case. You need to use your Arris SBg10. It contains a cable modem that communicates with your ISP. I’m not sure what you need an ER605 for. Maybe VLANs? Anyway, if you reset your Arris and ER605 to their default settings, they should work together without any changes. If you really need the ER605, it would be good to put the Arris in the bridge mode to avoid double NATting. That should not affect your internal network at all. Use wired connections while testing.Since you also have an AP, you may like to disable WiFi there, too. As for the Internet connection, you may need to shut down the modem and the router and wait a couple of minutes before starting them up again to make it work. Be patient when doing that. Your ISP needs time to detect that you have disconnected and do the clean up. Initially use only wired connections while testing and make sure WiFi is disable on your PC/laptop. 

Kris K
Options
2023-02-05 18:31:19

@KJK Thank you for your comment. I am an IBM iSeries, AS/400, Power(x) software developer and work from hom. It's the dual ISP and as TP-Link puts it

• "Abundant Security Features: Advanced firewall policies, DoS defense, IP/MAC/URL filtering, and more security functions protect your network and data." that initially turned me on to the ER605 and of course Omada! I recently read that Xfinity will kill your internet when you change routers. That would explain why the min. I put the Arris in bridged mode or turn off DHCP on the Arris my internet goes out. I wish I knew about 200 hours of work ago. That's new to me and I've had internet since the day people stopped calling by BBS's. I haven't verified this, it sounds to creepy to be true. 
Options
2023-02-05 19:31:36

@SysopChris 

ISPs usually do not care about routers, but they do care about modems. They often do not allow you to use your own modem and they have valid reasons to do that. I am not with Xfinity, but it looks like they do allow you to put the router into the bridge mode (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode). If you do this, your ER605 will get an IP address from the modem. Do not just disable the DHCP server on Arris. If you do this, your ER605 will not get the IP address it needs. I’m not sure whether the ER605 offers better security than the router built into the Arris. However I like myself to use my own router so I’m not against this idea whatever the reasons are.

Kris K
Options
2023-02-05 20:49:14

@KJK I am trying this now and this time I'll check in with xfininty. I'll reply here when completed.

Options
2023-02-05 22:15:32
I am rcv. the following error notification when I am adopting the switch and the EAP. Too many PRECONFIGURED devices in this account. Available licenses are not enough. Any suggestions? Thanks, Chris.
Options
2023-02-07 06:30:44

@SysopChris 

That means you are using Cloud-Based Controller, which require you purchase lincense to work.

It's better to install software controller on your local PC.

Omada Software Controller

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1341

Replies: 6