Need help determining AP placement and models

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-07 19:25:33 - last edited 2023-02-07 19:26:40

I am currently testing 2x eap660hd and 1x eap670 in my house. Look at the pictures below for the floor plan. I am considering placing 3-4 of the eap670 or eap660hd, or maybe an eap650 or eap610v2 in the bedrooms upstairs with a larger one (660 or 670) on the 1st floor. The green circles are the current locations. The blue ones are the proposed locations. The current one on the first floor points up as it is on a media cabinet at the moment.

I have the power set to low on 2.4ghz and medium on 5ghz. The 2 upstairs AP tend to grab random devices such as IoT switches and plugs on the first floor. Currently, the bottom left bedroom on the 2nd floor is not getting a usable signal. So I need to place something in that area. I do have good coverage on the 1st floor. On the top area of the 1st floor I have a proposed location, there is a 600 sq ft covered deck out that door that needs coverage.

For reference, if I place an eap660hd on auto power on the 2nd floor in the middle, I get 300-550mbps everywhere on that floor, but the signal is only good in the room directly below on the 1st floor. I have conduit running from my basement up to the attic so I can easily pull needed cabling there. It is also a heated and cooled attic, so it never gets warm or cold.

Both floors are 9' ceilings, 2x6 walls, and sheetrock, the exterior is brick. I have pine floors on both. Each floor is 3000 sq ft, so 6000 sq ft interior plus 600 sq ft deck needs coverage. The house is approximately 75' wide and 60' deep at the longest points.

On the first floor, I have some conduit to the front porch, rear deck, and garage/portico areas. Unfortunately, that doesn't allow me to reach the inside except in the laundry

room where I have an access panel just above the red line. The red line on the first floor is for triple 12" LVL beams that I can't drill through for more conduit. So that does restrict my ability to reach some areas. The kitchen is a tongue and groove ceiling that I don't want to cut open or drill any holes into.

Should I place the AP as laid out in blue, or should I place them in the lower and top left bedrooms and the far right one on the 2nd floor and then 1 on the 1st floor? If I just do the bedrooms upstairs and 1 larger one on the main floor, will an eap610 or eap650 penetrate through the floor well enough? I can turn off the 2.4 GHz radio on some of the AP if the 2.4 GHz coverage is sufficient to minimize interference.

I have been testing various devices and I have decided on the Omada line. We have approximately 28-30 IoT devices both 2.4 and 5 GHz, with 20 or so being 2.4. There are another 5-10 phones and laptops that are 5 GHz. The rest of the devices are wired. The majority of the wireless devices are on the left 2/3rds of the floor plan.

Also, how directional are these AP? It appears that one of them in the top left bedroom, depending on how it is turned picks up clients all the way to the front of the house on the 1st floor. The upstairs AP are currently laying in the ceiling of the rooms between the joists for testing.

I am open to suggestions since I think 4x eap670 or eap660hd will be overkill.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Need help determining AP placement and models
2023-02-08 12:37:12 - last edited 2023-02-08 12:45:13

@paarlberg 

Wireless connection can be influenced by many factors, so it's hard to say "put an AP here and it must be able to work great". But I will provide some info that may be useful.

From your notes, I think the main issue is that you have limited positions to place the EAP in 1st floor, am I right?

I believe Omada Mesh could be a solution. That means only a root AP requires Ethernet connection to your main router. The other APs only need power supply, and they will be wireless connected to the root AP.(work like range extender)

Since the Mesh AP just need power supply, you don't have to put them on the wall or make any hole in the ceiling, just put them on the table(or somewhere you can put the unit). And you can add more EAPs if one Mesh unit is not good enough.

Here is a guide from tp-link:

How to Build a Mesh Network via Omada EAP in Your Home

Frequently Asked Questions about EAP Mesh Network

The only concern is that you will need a controller to keep the Mesh network running.

For the EAP model, I think EAP650 is a good choice.

EAP610 is not bad but it's not that cheap...

Options
2023-02-08 14:16:53

@Somnus The 2nd-floor placement is fairly simple and I am currently getting 500mbps to the 1st floor directly below the AP with the eap660hd. Placing the 3rd AP upstairs above the foyer might be a good option, it can still hit the lower left bedroom, foyer, dining room, upstairs den, and front right bedroom. The center area is the only area that I need to fill in on the first floor with this plan. I have 5 conduit runs from my basement to the attic to allow cable runs. So cabling is not an issue. My wiring closet is in the basement on the lower left corner of the floor plan. So, a mesh is not needed.

I am picking up 4x eap650 today for testing how well it penetrates down to the first floor.  If this works, then I will go with them upstairs. I may have found a path to run a cable to get near the back door (top center of 1st floor) which should provide excellent coverage on the deck for my TV, grill and anything else I need there. If the eap650 doesn't perform as I hope, then I will go with the eap670 in certain areas if needed.

Options
2023-02-10 13:57:57

@paarlberg I ended up going with 2x eap670 and 2x eap650. I probably could have used 4x eap650, but wanted the extra antennas on the 5Ghz for a couple of areas.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1033

Replies: 3

Related Articles