EAP660HD Random Reboots when managed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-13 19:36:30
Tags: #Roaming #reboot
Model: EAP660 HD  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

My EAP660HD reboots "at random" every 6 to 600 minutes, depending on client load (or so it seems). I've seen forum posts on a similar issue with Intel Killer WiFi cards. However, I don't have any Killer WiFi cards.

TP-Link Support RMAd my original 660 due to this issue; the new one came with v1.0.5 firmware and ran for over 2 days with no issues on linux controller v5.7.4. I updated to firmware 1.1.1 to get the mesh feature back. I got an AP reboot in 6 minutes!

The AP will run for days in stand-alone mode. However, I ditched my previous dumb AP setup because I wanted managed APs, as I work 100% remote and wanted the roaming features of an SDN such as Omada. If I'm walking about my house or property, I no longer get blips or drops on my calls (e.g. Teams and Zoom)... unless the AP just up and reboots.

So now I went and made a couple tweaks to accomodate the Apple devices (DTIM=3, as found in other forum posts) and AI Roaming=off (my own test to try to find/isolate the issue), as Apple devices don't seem to play well with 802.11k/v/r. After disabling AI Roaming, I have been up for 63 minutes, a mid-day record since this issue started in earnest in Decemeber, about the time a 9th gen iPad took up residence; it was infrequent before that (maybe 2x day AP reboots). Fingers-crossed that it's Apple+AI Roaming.

I realize that running in dumb AP mode is an option, but not a good one when the device is quite specifically sold as a business class SDN managed AP.

Anyone else getting EAP660 HD reboots?

Options
7 Reply
Re:EAP660HD Random Reboots when managed
2023-02-13 22:04:05

Well, AI Roaming setting and DTIM setting had no positive effect on reboots. The AP went 75 minutes then rebooted. Then just 15 minutes later, it rebooted again.

So now I've disabled Fast Roaming entirely (making it a lot like stand-alone mode). Let's see if that helps the reboot situation (while thoroughly compromising the entire point of buying a managed AP).

Options
2023-02-14 13:23:44

@stargazindreamr 

Possibly may have a bad AP.  Could happen.

But I would check the switch port too.  Connect you devices to a syslog server and see what the AP and switch is doing during those outages.  That will give you a good idea of whats going on.  

Is the AP physically losing power?  Wonder if STP is firing off on the port and blinking the port and not the POE.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-02-14 15:47:01

I've powered the AP with both the 12V adapter that came with it as well as POE so I don't think it is losing power.

The AP stayed up for over 2 days on firmware v1.0.5 (what the new one shipped with a couple days ago). I then allowed Omada controller to update to the latest firmware (v1.1.1) to gain the Mesh function. That is when the reboots started--when firmware was updated to v1.1.1.

The AP itself is rebooting, as it drops all clients, drops connection to a mesh node, then reconnects to everything and the uptime counter resets to 0:00:00. The event log shows the device re-acquiring an IP via DHCP.

And it isn't because of mesh, because I now have nothing meshed with it. Instead, I am using an EAP245 with no clients as the mesh root --just trying to troubleshoot the EAP660 HD, which reboots more often as the client load goes up. In stand-alone, it runs for days with no issues.

Options
2023-02-15 05:29:48

@stargazindreamr 

You said you disabled Fast Roaming to test, did it work?

Did you test the cable? What about using short cables?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-02-15 16:38:11

Short cables have been tested--no changed.

Disabling fast roaming did not work.

Support recommended turning down the WiFi power to Low on 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The AP has been up now for 27 hours, no reboots. Looks like an over-heat issue?

Options
2023-02-15 18:13:56

@stargazindreamr 

i dont think its over heating, but maybe pulling too much power and reboots.  pulling more power and when it doesnt get enough, it reboots.

consider trying a different power cord?  or even try POE?

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-02-15 19:13:18

I've used the 12V power adapter that came with it as well as POE. This has happened with a 13 month old unit and its 12v adapter and a brand new unit with its 12v adapter, as well as POE.

I do think it is thermal (we can agree to disagree) since the reboot frequency seems to be determined by the client load/count and power output, and thus heat generated. If it was voltage related, I would not expect the reboot frequency to be on the order of hours and somewhat random when load is reduced, nor would I expect it to be 6 to 10 minutes , but again random, under heavier load.

Regardless, there appears to be clear issue where the device cannot stay up for more than 6 minutes (at times) under load of only 15 clients, when managed by Omada and running at full radio power. In other words, when used exactly as advertised for its intended use, the device is not stable.

Consider that the product page lists this for use in a shopping mall or rail station where there would be more than the 15 clients present in my environment, most of which are older 1x1 802.11ac or 802.11n STAs. In a high density environment, there will be many of the latest phones: Galaxy S series and iPhones, which are 2x2 clients on the 802.11ax standard (faster data rates--more energy and heat), which would be even more taxing than the four 2x2 ax clients I present.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 424

Replies: 7

Tags

Roaming
reboot