VIGI cameras intermittent connections

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-20 07:29:36
Model: VIGI C300P   VIGI C400P  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 210209

Good day,

I am having some intermittent issues with cameras connecting.

My setup consists of;

2-off C300 - 6mm

2-off C300 - 4mm

2-off C400 - 4mm

2-off C400 - 2.8mm

POE Switch - Tenda TEF1109P-8- 102w 30w max per channel.

TP Link AC750 router

Elitedesk G800 PC

I am able to connect each camera using a small 1m long CAT6 Solid UTP 23AWG cable and they power up and are visible in Vigi Security manager.

So I have confirmed they function.

Once I add any cable longer than this then I have random connections working. i.e. a camera will connect one day and the next it will not be visible in the app and show offline. This applies to the Vigi App on the phone as well.

All lights on the switch show as well as the cameras powering up with the 2 clicks while booting.

In these cases, I am able to ping the cameras.

I have set them as static IP's beginning 192.168.xxx.xxx

My router is set on DHCP - due to my fibre provider.

What I have tried was to purchase a different Cat6 cable and using a short length, this picks up and connects on my desk but the longer lengths they do not connect 15m to 25m long.

Options
4 Reply
Re:VIGI cameras intermittent connections
2023-02-20 08:02:21 - last edited 2023-02-20 08:08:43

@Garthox I faced the similar issue with my VIGI C340 camera. More than 12 hours it will be working the next day it will be offline. if you reboot the switch it will again start to work for another half day or more. Later I found that it is due to cat 6 cable installation. Please check your cable connection with Network cable tester. during RJ45 crimping 3 out of 8 twisted cables were not connected properly in my case. The camera was powered ON all the day(verified from SD card recordings on camera) but communication between SWITCH & camera failed frequently. 

Options
2023-02-20 08:41:13 - last edited 2023-02-20 08:42:01

@dubecell Thanks,

Ill give that a check.

I didn't mention in the first post, but I did get a cable tester to do those checks.

What I did have on 2 cables was the tested showed all good, but on the switch when the lights flashed, there was one flash that was almost like a short where it barely lit up.

I re-did that connection and it was good for a while.

I hope your setup is all good now, but I am glad to hear I am not the only one with a similar issue that was rectified.

I can see myself redoing these connections/crimps, thanks for confirming. Maybe I had slight issues while doing them.

Edit: spelling

Options
2023-02-20 09:17:05

@Garthox All my connections are stable now. After doing cable crimping/testing make DHCP IP reservation in your router even though you maintain a static IP in cameras. So that no static IP will be wrongly assigned to any other devices during DHCP requests.

Options
2023-02-20 14:39:58

@Garthox 

Responding here with an update in case someone has a similar issue.

I was about to remove and re-crimp the connections, but I started with the new batch of cables that seemed to not work at all.

When I was to cut them, i noticed the orientation was incorrect and some reading online showed that on short runs of network cable it does not matter, but longer runs there is interference within the cable from the pairs.

I re-crimped all of these;

OrangeWhite // Orange // GreenWhite // Blue // BlueWhite // Green // BrownWhite // Brown

Re-tested with the cable tester then on the camera and this picked up.

Now showing on the mobile app and been stable for the last 2 hrs now.

Hopefully all is now good, but Ill report back should there be a need.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 571

Replies: 4

Related Articles