URL Filtering Whitelist Not Working ER605v2 with Omada Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-03 23:04:12
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.1

I am using the URL filtering function on the controller to create a whitelist of sites, so my final url filter rule is a deny all rule using the "."

Most of my permit url filter rules use a wildcard, *. Any of the url filter rules that include a wildcard do not work at first.

Any url filter without a wildcard such as, fedex, works normally. (Had to put the parentheses around the fedex url as it wouldn't let me post the question)

If I move any URL filter rule from near the bottom of the filter list to the top, all of the URL filters start working normally. That is the most consistent way I have found to get the URL filtering to work after boot up. It appears that a lot of url filter changes, such as adding or deleting a rule will also get the URL filters to start working. If I power off the device and power it back on the issue comes back up again until I move around the url filters.

It isn't a time issue either as I have waited an hour after connecting the ER605 before testing and the URL filtering wasn't working, all the wildcard domains were failing to resolve DNS, but as soon as I move the URL filter rules around it began to work within five seconds.

Has anyone else encountered this behavior with using the URL Filtering? 

Thanks,

Options
2 Reply
Re:URL Filtering Whitelist Not Working ER605v2 with Omada Controller
2023-03-04 05:32:11

@MugiwaraWorker 

Is there a specific reason you not upgrading your ER605 V2 to the latest stable firmware version (ER605(UN)_V2_2.1.2 Build 20230210)?

Grab it from here: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/er605/#Firmware

Besides this, it would be good to know which Controller you're using?

Windows/Linux/OC200/OC300/Cloud etc. and which version is it?

Otherwise it's hard to say anything...

Options
Re:URL Filtering Whitelist Not Working ER605v2 with Omada Controller
2023-03-06 14:17:56

@Hoamboy

I am using Linux Controller version 5.6.3. I upgraded my firmware to version 2.1.2 and was having a bunch of other issues occuring, so I downgraded back to 2.0.1. I am planning on upgrading back to 2.1.2, but not until I upgrade my controller and can run tests to see if the new controller version fixes those other issues, since that firmware mentions being fully adapted to 5.8+.

Thanks,

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 914

Replies: 2

Related Articles