PoE for the entire switch keeps failing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-05 17:15:09
Tags: #PoE
Model: TL-SG2428P  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My switch keeps entering a state where it will no longer provide any PoE output, while the fans are also in a permanently elevated speed. It still provides data, but no power. This persists until I reset the switch (forcing me to readopt). It happened once a couple months ago, but now it happens every day. There's nothing in the controller logs indicating a problem.

The switch is plugged into a CyberPower CP1500PFCRM2U UPS. Is that possibly the culprit, or do I need to RMA the switch?

Options
6 Reply
Re:PoE for the entire switch keeps failing
2023-03-06 07:20:26

Hi @curl2bash 

Have you tried to reset this switch and upgrade the firmware of it?

It looks like a hardware issue, and yes you can contact local support team and request warranty service.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-03-06 14:56:46

@Hank21 I've reset it a few times (it's the only way to get PoE online again), and it just eventually fails again. There's also no pending updates for it, it's running 1.1.7.

Options
2023-03-07 15:37:49

@curl2bash That is very similar to the issue I had on a SG2428MP. Support wanted the log files from the switch, After that it had to go back, RMA. Mine started off doing once every few weeks, then progressed to just a few minuted between hang up. It, like yours dropped everything POE. There was also one wired wired client that it would drop. Probably you should just contact support.

Options
2023-03-09 15:29:56

@curl2bash 

Definitely sounds like a hardware fault.  If you have a voltmeter you could check the output of the switch's PSU and validate it against the rating...ie 53.5V or whatever, but it sounds much more like internal modules are faulty and that's RMA time.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-04-01 06:50:00

@curl2bash 

It is possible that the CyberPower CP1500PFCRM2U UPS is the culprit. It could be drawing too much power when connected to the switch, causing the PoE to fail. You may want to try disconnecting the UPS and see if that resolves the issue. If not, then you may need to RMA the switch. Make sure to contact the manufacturer's support team for additional assistance.

Options
2023-04-01 14:41:03
Pretty sure a few hundred watts of POE switch isn't going to overload a 1500VA (~1.5kW) UPS. That said, it's a good idea to take it out of the loop and test just to eliminate it as a potential issue.
<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options