Losing connection when taking a port off the default VLAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-21 03:18:54
Model: TL-SG105E  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20230214 Rel.63440

I am learning VLANs with my switch. Right now I have port 2 of the switch connected to an empty port on my router (no VLAN capability there) so I can manage it with my main desktop.

I have a VLAN-aware device connected to port 1, and set up VLAN 200 to take untagged traffic and port 2 and tagged traffic on port 1. Port 2 has its VLAN PID set to 200, and I can successfully ping the device connected to port from my desktop. I know this is working correctly because if I turn off the VLAN-aware function of my end device I am unable to ping, suggesting it is receiving tagged packets and can't do anything with them.

Now since the connection is working, I take port 2 off the default VLAN by making it a non-member becuase I want it completely isolated. For some reason this also makes me unable to communicate with the connected device. Moving and playing with different ports, it seems this is the case with all of them; it seems a port must allow untagged traffic on VLAN 1 for any communication to happen. Could someone explain to me why this is? I don't understand why taking the port completely off VLAN 1 affects my ability to communicate with the device and tagged and untagged traffic should all be taking place on VLAN 200.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 164

Replies: 0

Related Articles