Omada Controller v5.9 for OC200/OC300 Release Date

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Omada Controller v5.9 for OC200/OC300 Release Date

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
27 Reply
Re:Omada Controller v5.9 for OC200/OC300 Release Date
2023-04-02 11:50:16

@aschmid it's really depressing to see TP-Link's lack of care for those of us that went in to the hardware ecosystem *they recommended*

it's even worse to see how they treat those of us who ask for a grown-up update.

As mentioned, I have started the chargeback process, from my credit card company - stating this was purchased as a business device, less than a year ago. The business marketing of the device suggests it should last considerably longer than a year. The lack of updates to the device mean it is now out of sync with other elements of the TP-Link system, rendering it useless.

In the chargeback details, I gave information from this forum (lack of any serious roadmap - "patience"..."coming soon") to back up my view that this device is not being supported professionally. I expect this refund to be approved this week.

It is particularly disappointing to see the lack of clarity constantly stated on here.

Either something has gone wrong with TP-Links R&D-->Product planning or there has been a decision taken to deprioritise the OC200 and OC300.  Which is it?

Options
2023-04-02 12:58:48

@aschmid 

They mentioned a few times that - as you correctly wrote - they develop software versions first and then do the needed modifications for hardware controllers.

In this case, v5.9 came out so quickly after v5.8 that they didn't provide a dedicated v5.8 for hardware controllers.

But they promised to come up with a proper v5.9 for hardware controllers shortly.

Personally, dislike as well, to jump from v5.7 to v5.9 directly and needing to wait for simple stuff like Custom DDNS for bl**dy ages.

Not even mentioning bigger stuff like Wireguard support and so on...

For me, hardware controllers are not receiving the required love they deserve.

Options
2023-04-02 16:21:28 - last edited 2023-04-02 16:22:09

I believe the OC200 came out in 2018, so, hardware product, built to a (low) price, constant upgrades each time in increasing functionality and complexity. Something has got to give. This device is not going to last forever. and 5 years is a pretty good run for most modern 'upgradeable' hardware. IMHO it's end of life and the Devs are finding it difficult to squeeze all of the new functionality into a legacy platform.

I retired my OC200 a month ago and migrated from OC200 5.7.6 -> Linux controller 5.9.9 No issues, just exported the config and imported into the new controller.

Options
2023-04-03 04:26:16
Hello,

i'm just as disappointed. I have 3 systems one with software controller, OC200 and ER7212PC.
I am aware that the software comes first and then the hardware, since these have to be adjusted.

But it shouldn't take that long because the drivers are already there.

Unfortunately, the systems are installed at customers where I can't switch to software controllers. Because they paid for it.

We need the custom DNS because we have our own DNS server.

And therefore will not go to the expensive third-party providers.

The current 5.7.6 also has many problems, especially with cloud access, many pages do not load and remain empty.

As well as the problem that WLAN clients simply cannot connect. with the 5.8 5.9 I don't have this problem.
Options
2023-04-03 06:39:40

Totally agree with all of what was written but have an addition to that.

I'm running the OC200 with a couple switches and APs and was using the ER605 Firewall. I moved to the ER7206 in my business case because of better update support and some additional features.

While the OC200/300 didn't get the updates i moved to the Software Version (running the Linux VM) as i wanted to use Wireguard as a VPN Service. as OC200/300 does not support Wireguard in the current version.

Fun fact is that the ER605 Firmware does support Wireguard already but the ER7206 is still behind waiting for the firmware with the feature enabled.

At the end it is the whole Patch Management that does not really work out in my opinion which is really annoying.

Thanks,

Arantis

Options
2023-04-03 07:09:24

@Arantis 

ER7206 with brand new v1.3.0 is supporting Wireguard.

You can download from TP-Link EN website.

Options
2023-04-03 07:19:12

Tescophil wrote

I believe the OC200 came out in 2018, so, hardware product, built to a (low) price, constant upgrades each time in increasing functionality and complexity. Something has got to give. This device is not going to last forever. and 5 years is a pretty good run for most modern 'upgradeable' hardware. IMHO it's end of life and the Devs are finding it difficult to squeeze all of the new functionality into a legacy platform.

I retired my OC200 a month ago and migrated from OC200 5.7.6 -> Linux controller 5.9.9 No issues, just exported the config and imported into the new controller.

@Tescophil I kind of agree that there is an end to a hardware lifespan and 5 years for a device is reasonable. But TP-Link continues to sell the OC200, I bought mine a few months ago, and there is no replacement. The product is also still listed on the website as the recommended device to manage small networks.

So if there is hardware restrictions on out of date devices TP-Link should come out with a new version with better hardware specs. Or if the decision is not to provide anymore hardware based controllers make that statement official and advise people to run software controllers on Raspberry Pi's or something.

The biggest mistake is taking no action and just let customers run into problems over problems. That erodes confidence and is not good for anybody. 

Options
2023-04-03 07:23:27

@aschmid 

Couldn't agree more...

Options
2023-04-03 21:00:21

My guess they will be pushing the subscription based cloud controller and leave this devices behind. that makes dollars sense.. I would actually sub if they keep it updated..thing that i also doubt.. also I am asked for a credit card before even showing the pricing.. what about at least presenting the price upfront.. makes me distrust it even more.

Options
2023-04-04 02:36:07

@crrodriguez For me the question is this.  Are TP Link just hiding the fact x employee's left and they really don't have anyone to handle the hardware firmware type updates now?  Do all they have is incompetent / average .......

Sure you could make the argument it makes sense to release Windows and Linux versions before the dedicated hardware but unfortunately there is ALOT of issues with the hardware Omada as well....... therefore they are ALL equal priority.

TP Link do read this forum as well....  as they've reached out on occasion.  There is MASSIVE issues with the Routers and the Omada software on many levels so they should be rolling the software out to all platforms at the same time EQUALLY.

I hate to use this notion but WE PAID FOR YOUR HARDWARE, the people who are using the SOFTWARE have not.  How about a little EQUALITY....  Because right now you've left the people who bought your products in full...........  out in the dark.

Week after week after week after week after week..........  month after month.  I honestly regret investing in the TPLink Omada setup.  

Options
Related Articles