What is the best TP-Link router for full speed vpn?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-14 12:32:01 - last edited 2023-04-14 12:52:33

Hi. Does anyone know of a TP-Link router, or another company if TP-Link doesn't have a good one, that can handle vpn natively at the full ISP speeds? Currently I use NordVPN's OpenVPN config and when I connect my pc to the vpn I get 500 Mbps download and upload according to speedtest.net. That's my max ISP speeds. But with my ER605v1 I only get 14 Mbps download, 9 upload and that's not good at all, especially for IPTV.

I'm in the process of switching to Rogers ISP and will have 1024 Mbps so I'd like to get this speed, or the closest possible speeds to it if NordVPN provides that as well.

I'd appreciate a few model names that I can review. Preferably one of the cheaper ones out there if possible.

Options
7 Reply
Re:What is the best TP-Link router for full speed vpn?
2023-04-14 14:24:32

@yorkman 

TP-Link:

Most horsepower for business needs: https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/omada-sdn-router/er8411/

Strongest box for prosumer requirements (soon to come): https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/omada-sdn-router/er707-m2/

Other brand:

https://mikrotik [dot] com/product/rb5009upr_s_in

Super strong box incl. proper hw-offloading for additional speed, but needs to be configured completely manually.

And: other brands should not be part of this forum's discussions.

Options
2023-04-14 15:28:12

@yorkman OPENVPN has a terrible performance, even on a regular PC , on a reasonably priced network appliance it will probably remain dissapointing.

OTOH you can pull Wirguard gigabit (mius overheads of course) on a PI4 IIRC.. if you do not want wireguard for whatever (silly) reason, your next best bet is IPSEC. Over the internet on a good day, OpenVPN will give you around 300mbps.

Options
2023-04-16 02:05:55

@Hoamboy er707-m2 looked like a keeper until read that the SFP port is gigabit.. I do not need Ethernet 2.5 WAN ports! .. need SFP 2500 BaseX to plug a Fiber module sad

Options
2023-04-16 16:29:36 - last edited 2023-04-16 16:31:06

@crrodriguez Thank you for the suggestions. If OpenVPN gives me 300 Mbps then perhaps IPSec will give me 500 or close to it if it's better? I don't know anything about PI4 IIRC. I do have a server in my house though....an extremely fast one with dual EPYC's 7742 and 512 GB ram which runs a few servers in VMWare Workstation. I was thinking maybe I can harness that somehow...perhaps connecting the EPYC 7742 system itself to NordVPN using their app on a 2nd nic and setting up internet connection sharing on it so that my LAN can use that for internet connection? Not sure I'd be able to still have access to my LAN though but I think that should be possible. But not sure how I'd go about doing this at this point.

The er707-m2 sounds intriguing and easier for me but 1) it's not even being sold yet and 2) I doubt I'd get 500 Mbps on it...maybe with IPSEC?

Options
2023-04-16 18:15:28

@yorkman openVPN is simpler than IPSEC.. IPSEC is faster if correctly configured, but is vastly more complicated and easy to get wrong. not to mention the amount of code required for its implementation is massive. It is the go-to  solution if you want to connect enterprise routers or gear together

You can use that EPYC system for whatever you want.. you setup a client there then route all traffic to the internet via the VPN. this is not very cost effective thing to do however.

If not tplink. try mikrotik routers or.. cisco.. if you have budget

Options
2023-04-16 23:48:04

@crrodriguez Thanks for your help again. I was able to solve my iptv speed issue without any upgrades. I have a Synology DS920+ nas and I just created a NordVPN connection there. In my android box I just changed the network gateway ip to be my NAS ip and voila. Almost full isp speeds via Nord's vpn. Works great!

Options
2023-04-18 00:30:15 - last edited 2023-04-18 00:30:30

@crrodriguez Also makes no sense that only one of them can be used as 2.5G on a lan. What good is it if my laptop is connected to it at 2.5G when the other 2.5G port can't be used as LAN to plug in my NAS so that I can transfer files between them at 2.5G?!?!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1431

Replies: 7

Related Articles