Multicast vlan tag problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-11 08:59:34 - last edited 2023-05-11 09:10:02
Model: TL-SG3210  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: TL-SG3210(UN)_V3_3.0.7 Build 20221130

Hello.

I have quite a simple multicast setup where I have an ONT plugged to a switch (port 1). It is providing a tagged vlan 203 for an iptv settop box. The iptv setop box is plugged to port 2 of the switch using an untagged vlan 203 port. The iptv settop box receives an IP via DHCP and then tries to request multicast groups.

Assuming the switch is factory defaulted, these are the steps I do to configure it:

In L2 Features -> VLANS I add VLAN 203 and set port 1 as tagged, and port 2 as untagged.

In L2 Features -> VLANS -> Port Config I set port 2 PVID of 203:

For completeness sake, I also enable IGMP Snooping but it's actually irrelevant to this problem (it can remain disabled).

With the above config, the iptv setop box receives a DHCP address, Multicast IP Address Table is filled in the switch, but IGMP messages are not forwarded outside the switch.

It starts working if I set the PVID of port 1 to 203 which to my mind is confusing.

Why would I need to set a PVID of the tagged port? It's as if the switch is stripping multicast traffic of a vlan tag when in enters the switch.

For comparison, I had plugged a d-link switch instead of tplink which has the same simple configuration (just vlan 203 tag port 1 and untag vlan 203 port 2) and it works:

To me it seems to be some kind of a bug, why do I need to set PVID 203 to PORT 1 for igmp messages to be forwarded outside the switch?

The same behaviour happens on TLSG2210MP ( TL-SG2210MP(UN)_V3_3.0.5 Build 20221130 )  (the setup won't work unless I set pvid 203 for port 1).

Options
2 Reply
Re:Multicast vlan tag problem
2023-05-15 03:46:02

Hello @candeller,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID230524069, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:Multicast vlan tag problem
2023-05-26 06:44:14

Hello @candeller,

Hope you are doing well. Our support team reported that they haven't received your email reply at all.

Have you ever received the support email whose case ID is TKID230524069? Or was your concern resolved on your own finally?

We are looking forward to hearing from you again.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 399

Replies: 2