If Omada Software Controller (vs. OC200) sufficient if laptop only running occasionally?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

If Omada Software Controller (vs. OC200) sufficient if laptop only running occasionally?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-11 15:18:00 - last edited 2023-05-12 00:51:05
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am upgrading my home network from a basic ISP provided router/AP combo box to a Omada solution, consisting of:

3 x EAP653 access points

ER605 router

Possibly an OC200 - depending.

I have managed to setup the system based on only the Omada Software Controller set up through my laptop. I shut the laptop down and the wifi APs and internet access wired to the ER605 is still working. I have read on different forums and instruction videos, that the Software Controller should run on a "home server setup". However I have set it up on my laptop and it is not running on a server as such. Question is whether it indeed can continue to run like that, or if I do need to have a dedicated server for it? Because if so, then I would just use the OC200. But do I need to?

I will need to set up the router with an openvpn setup. Does that have an impact?

Anything I am missing? Can I continue to just flip open my laptop when I need to make adjustments to the system or will not keeping it running constantly render me short of some functions or is there anything else I should be thinking of? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:If Omada Software Controller (vs. OC200) sufficient if laptop only running occasionally?-Solution
2023-05-11 16:28:29 - last edited 2023-05-12 00:50:53

@karopega 

Go through this FAQ to answer your questions.

As for the laptop - there's nothing wrong if that would be your software controller server.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:If Omada Software Controller (vs. OC200) sufficient if laptop only running occasionally?-Solution
2023-05-11 16:28:29 - last edited 2023-05-12 00:50:53

@karopega 

Go through this FAQ to answer your questions.

As for the laptop - there's nothing wrong if that would be your software controller server.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:If Omada Software Controller (vs. OC200) sufficient if laptop only running occasionally?
2023-05-11 17:39:22 - last edited 2023-05-12 00:50:53
fantastic. That FAQ answer was exactly what I needed. Coupled with your answer.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 364

Replies: 2

Related Articles