WPA Authentication Timeout or Failure

WPA Authentication Timeout or Failure

49 Reply
Re:WPA Authentication Timeout or Failure
2023-09-11 12:31:45

@Hank21 Hello Hank21... Great to see this will hopefully be looked at now, but I'm curious why it wasn't taken seriously months ago when I first reported it. Is there another spot I can reports bugs?

Options
2023-09-12 02:15:49

Hello @Bromo

You may submit a ticket email for your issue to our technical support team directly from here.

It's hard to say that the issue happens on the EAP or Client devices in the first moment, and just like @Fae mentioned that the wireless disconnection issue caused by "WPA Authentication Timeout or Failure" is typically related to a poor signal strength. A distance with a few meters away could also lead to a poor signal strength issue when it comes to 2.4GHz IoT devices. And when there is insufficient information, it is difficult to locate the problem. But based on all problem phenomenon your guys described, we analyze these info and will take a deep further investigation on this issue, and will try to provide an update when there's progress.

Thank you for your continued support and patience.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-01-02 19:53:40

@Hank21 Is there any update on this? I am affected by the same issue.

Options
2024-01-03 03:09:56

Hi @JoshuaD

The error message "Association Timeout" generated may be caused by the client devices entering the wrong password when connecting to the SSID, or packet loss during the wireless association handshake process, for detailed info please refer to here.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-01-03 03:51:52

@Hank21 Wow... this is really frustrating... There's a whole thread here with multiple people experiencing the problem... only on 2.4GHz and only on one EAP... turning off 2.4GHz on the EAP650 is the workaround letting clients connect to other EAP devices on 2.4GHz. 

Options
2024-01-03 14:37:34 - last edited 2024-01-03 14:38:32

I switched to Omada from Eero a several months ago and I have the exact same issue.  I have tried multiple settings changes and nothing seems to hit at the root cause of why certain IoT devices will be knocked off the network and then I'll have 33k of these WPA association errors reported. AFAIK I can't even find more info, no event shows up in the log.  

A reboot of both of my 650v2 EAP's brings those devices immediately back on to the network, but then they will drop off again within the next 10 days and those errors will be reported.  Never had this issue before with Eero and signal strength of all devices is rated as excellent.

Can also find my reddit thread here:  https://www.reddit.com/r/TPLink_Omada/comments/18jtvyp/trouble_with_wpa_authentication_timeoutfailure/

Options
2024-01-03 21:17:17

You can try disabling PMF on the SSID.  I disabled it at their suggestion back in September I believe and have not had the issue recur after it had been occurring regularly every couple of weeks to a month or so apart.

To disable PMF the WPA mode cannot be WPA2-PSK/WPA3-SAE/AES, so if it is set to that, you need to change to WPA/WPA2-PSK/Auto and then you can disable it.  However, you cannot change it to that if you have 6Ghz enabled, as it requires WPA2-PSK/WPA3-SAE/AES, so you would have to disable that first.  I have tried keeping a 6Ghz network with PMF and a separate 2.4Ghz network without to connect things, but the affact of having PMF on the 6Ghz seems to bleed over into the 2.4.  This to me makes it look like a bug because I cannot see any reason why a setting on one SSID would affect another.

So you can test it, and if you don't have the issue, then it seems like that would support the fact that it is a PMF issue.  If the fix is conistent then they  would likely have to fix it or you can't have 6Ghz on, which of course takes away a lot of the reason to buy a more expensive 6Ghz capable AP.  

I just updated them with this info today since the activity here reminded me that I hadn't had the issue recur in awhile.  So hopefully they agree with my assesment that this seems to be related to PMF and try to fix it.

Options
2024-01-03 21:32:26

@zerepsj 

I checked my 2 IoT networks.  One is 2.4 and 5GHZ, that one was set to capable.  I just moved it to disabled.  The 2.4 only network was already set to disabled.  We'll see.  Thanks!

Options
2024-01-03 21:36:20

@zerepsj The PMF setting fixed the issue reported here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/643754

But not this particular issue with the EAP650

Options
2024-01-03 21:53:23

@Bromo 

Interesting.  I don't think I had that other issue, just the issue here with the WPA Authentication Timeout or Failure and the PMF being diabled fixed it.  Although they had me disable it, not set to capable.  That was back in September though, so I don't actually remember if capable was an option or just enabled/disabled, because it seems odd we wouldn't try that first.

It could be that setting it to capable is enough to fix the Association timeout in that other ticket, but it has to be fully disabled to fix the WPA Authentication Timeout or Failure from this one.  So potentially two closely related but not completely overlapping issues.

It still doesn't make sense why having it enabled on one unrelated SSID breaks my 2.4 IoT SSID that has it disabled or why it works fine for a couple of weeks to a month and then breaks.

Well hopefully the PMF to capable or disabled helps the other person having issues.  because otherwise all it proves is the inconsistency of the problem and/or solution, which isn't the most helpful of data.  At this point I'm basically just resigned to the fact that I won't ever get to utilize the 6Ghz network for my few devices that are capable of it and am just happy I haven't had to mess with my wifi since I disabled PMF in early September.

Options
Related Articles