Hostnames not resolving

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Hostnames not resolving

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Hostnames not resolving
Hostnames not resolving
2023-06-01 04:11:23 - last edited 2023-08-22 12:24:06
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

Hello,

I run an all TP-Link network at home - ER605 as the router, a OC200 controller and a SG2210MP as the core with 3 AP's. I've previously run consumer grade routers as well. What I have noticed, is the my PiHole's that I also run to block advertising on the network cannot resolve hostname's; they report IP addresses' only and have always done so with TP-Link products. Before TP-Link I was running Synology products and was able to resolve local hostname's on the network:

pihole screenshot

Is there a setting I am missing? It's not impacting on the network in anyway except as an annoyance.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Hostnames not resolving
2023-06-02 05:41:05 - last edited 2023-08-22 12:23:50

@Cozz 

Hi, did you set mDNS?

Take a look: Configuring mDNS Repeater

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-06-02 12:22:40 - last edited 2023-08-22 12:23:50

@Cozz 

On your TP-Link network, it appears that hostname resolution is giving you problems. With Synology products in the past, you could resolve local hostnames on the network. However, with TP-Link products, your PiHole only reports IP addresses.

You might need to change a setting in order to fix this problem. The ER605 router, OC200 controller, and SG2210MP core switch are three TP-Link products that you may try verifying the setup settings on. Make sure any parameters that have anything to do with DNS or hostname resolution are set up correctly.

You might need to contact TP-Link support for more help if you can't discover a certain option related to hostname resolution. They ought to be able to offer advice on how to fix the problem and guarantee that your PiHole can correctly resolve hostnames.

Remember that this problem doesn't appear to be affecting the operation of your network, making it more of a nuisance than a serious concern.

revida marcos [url]https://www.multispanindia.com/[/url]
Options
2023-06-02 22:25:33 - last edited 2023-08-22 12:23:50

@Virgo 

Virgo wrote

@Cozz 

Hi, did you set mDNS?

Take a look: Configuring mDNS Repeater

I've not configured mDNS at all; would it help? I don't have any VLAN's setup and none of the devices have any issues resolving DNS via Pihole.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 777

Replies: 3

Related Articles