Acceptable Tx/Rx Errors and drop rate

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-09 14:39:16
Model: EAP660 HD  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1

Hi

I have a EAP660 HD v1.0 with 80 - 90 Clients connected to it. During the day they do not generate much traffic, but during the night the clients (phones) can update themselves.

The other night was one such night and the update failed on a lot of clients. I have not (yet) received a log from the phones, so the failure cause could be network unrelated.

However I did see a 15% Packet drop rate during the night... Is this is normal? I'm not too well versed with wireless networks, but I do know that some packet drops are normal on wireless networks, but so much?

The peak of packets sent was at 9.35pm at around 3 million packets and ca 570'000 packets dropped:

Utilization:

Even if this is not normal. I should not think that a 15% drop rate causes a complete update failure on the clients side, right?

The APs are running firmware version 1.0.1 Build 20200724 Rel. 57531 for now.

I should mention that there are 6 more APs around the building. However only one is within range of this AP and they are serving different channels.

Channel width is the default 20Mhz on both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz. Should I increase the width? Most clients are on the 5 Ghz frequency.

Some insight is appreciated.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Acceptable Tx/Rx Errors and drop rate
2023-06-14 09:01:19

@omada_user23901 

Yes, I think so. Try changing different channels and channel widths, the channel utilization is a little high.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-06-14 09:50:59 - last edited 2023-06-14 09:53:54

Hi  @Virgo 

Thank you for your response.

On Monday I changed the channel width on the 5GHz radio to 80 MHz.  I also set a max client limit on the access point.

Now the client distribution between the two access points is quite good. Around 50 clients on the 5GHz radio and around 15 - 20 on the 2.4 GHz radio.

The remaining clients connected to other access point.

Another update was pushed on Monday night, however the update failed still. All clients tried to update however most of them were stuck at 0% and the rest manged to download something, but after 2 - 3 minutes the download kept timing out. Afterwards the clients tried to download the update again and again.

Edit: Same behavior as last time

The channel utilization was a little lower than last time, but still somewhat high. Channel utilization never reached 100%.

After about 1 hour we decided to stop the update process for all of them. We proceeded to update 20 clients at the time (all clients were still connected). And this seemed to work mostly without issue.

I'll be updating the firmware today and try another update.

Updates are always around 120MB for each client. there is total of 100 clients.

Available bandwidth is at around 300 - 450 Mbit/s, which drops to 5Mbit/s when all clients try to download the update.

I should also mentions clients are not evenly distributed across the room, but on a two big docking stations with 50 clients each.

Edit2: Spelling

Options
2023-06-14 09:56:55

Are there maybe some other parameters that I could tweak?

Aside from channels, channel width, txpower and max clients?

Options
2023-06-15 03:41:58

@omada_user23901 

Try enable the band steering and fast roaming.

You can also try to set separate 2.4G SSID and 5G SSID for specific clients.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 754

Replies: 4

Related Articles