How does the EasySmart Configuration utility find switches on other subnets?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-13 16:49:22
Model: TL-SG105E  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20230214 Rel.63440

Just a curiosity question...

I am configuring various TL-SG105E switches and some of them had been set up on other subnets (such as 192.168.200.x). The configuration utility is able to find a switch and even reconfigure its IP address. I'm just curious as to how the utility does this. What protocols are used? How does it access the switch in a different subnet?  This is a learning experience for me and any info would be very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:How does the EasySmart Configuration utility find switches on other subnets?
2023-06-14 12:20:02 - last edited 2023-06-14 12:56:38

@jra11500 

Devices in the same broadcast domain can interface with each other. All that is done at Layer 2 using MAC addresses. Subnets play role at Layer 3 where IP addresses are used. I recommend watching the Networking Fundamentals videos by Practical Networking on YouTube to learn the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIFyRwBY_4bRLmKfP1KnZA6rZbRHtxmXi

Kris K
Options
Re:How does the EasySmart Configuration utility find switches on other subnets?
2023-06-14 18:02:25

@KJK 

Thanks for the link and I will certainly take a look at everything.  I think I understand enough about Layer 2 and MAC addresses and deduced that broadcasts are probably used to discover any switches.  What really got my curiosity was that the utility was able to change the IP address of a switch whose IP was in a different subnet.  Using only a MAC address, how did the utility communicate with the switch if an IP protocol is not used?  Is there a back door?  Some special protocol?  I have seen that other manufacturers (such as Netgear) have similar utilities and probably work in the same manner.

Options