EAP653 Slim getting extremely hot.. almost too hot to touch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-18 14:35:44 - last edited 2023-06-23 14:16:41
Model: EAP653  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4

Hello,

My current network consist of:

- TP-Link Omada SDN TL-ER7212PC

- TP-Link Omada SDN EAP653 Slim

The EAP653 is connected via PoE+ of the TL-ER7212PC.

With just a handful of wireless devices attached, the EAP653 is getting extremely hot on the back, almost to hot to touch.

I do understand this is a cooling element to cool it down but my logic thinking says it should not be this hot with this little work it needs to be doing...

Is there a way to check the temperature?

Is this normal?

Doesn't this effect the lifespan?

*worried*

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP653 Slim getting extremely hot.. almost too hot to touch-Solution
2023-06-23 14:15:05 - last edited 2023-06-23 14:15:09

@Iglotent

Hi,

After some e-mail exchanges this is the conclusion:

- Temps normal, EAP653 Slim has temperature safe guards (Without providing you an option to check the temps)

- Units are being tested in conditions of 60C (ok nice but unit getting hot to touch in 24C conditions...)

- It is what it is (Acces points always getting warm/hot because they are passively cooled)

The last mail response I got from TP-Link Support:

Good morning,

There is no place where you can see the temperature of the EAP653, there is no risk of spontaneous combustion and the EAP653 has an automatic temperature control mechanism.

If you have doubts about the integrity of the EAP please request a replacement under warranty with the point of sales, but have in mind that we cannot guarantee that the new device will work cooler than the current EAP653.

We have undergone rigorous temperature testing to ensure stable operation at an ambient temperature of at least 60°C. 

There is no risk of spontaneous combustion and the EAP653 has an automatic temperature control mechanism.

Please be at ease, your EAP653 is working as intended.

Best regards

The company where i bought it from said:

Yes, access points in general can get quite warm.
These are also passively cooled. This is not harmful to the access point.

The product also comes with a limited lifetime warranty, which is 5 to 10 years. As long as it is only about the heat and the access point functions properly, then no action is required.

So yeah, It is what it is.. Definitly will keep an eye on it, if it dies it will be replace with another brand that's for sure. 

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:EAP653 Slim getting extremely hot.. almost too hot to touch
2023-06-19 09:02:11

@Iglotent 

It is weird, maybe a hardware issue, suggest to contact the support team ASAP.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-06-21 14:30:37

@Iglotent 

I have the same issue with 3 new AP's I bought yesterday. Do you solve it?

Thanks 

Options
2023-06-21 17:59:21

@Hamsururu 

At the moment I am still in contact with the service helpdesk.

Adviced and tried is cable change. No change there. Then they mentioned that it had a safety shutoff if the temperature became to high and that the device was tested in environments of 60C. Soo still nothing about why the device is so freaking hot in a normal environment temperature.

But as said, still in contact with them.

The device has a safety off temp so it keeps track of the temp, i would love to read that out..no answer on that question.

Try a different cable of higher quality and direct connect it on the device that powers your AP via PoE+

See if that helps.

Options
2023-06-22 20:36:54

I also have three EAP 653s, they all get very hot on the back as well. I have not noticed this at all. But then I read this and thought I'd check mine out too. Is there anyone who has one or more EAP 653s that do NOT get hot?

Options
2023-06-23 09:07:51

I already tested with different cable Cat6 and same result. I tried with power adapter and same result. All three got very hot. The temperature they get is around 41ºC.

Probably this could be normal, but a long term could be harmful.

Now I don't know if return them to the supplier or wait from TP-Link Official statement how resolve this.

Options
Re:EAP653 Slim getting extremely hot.. almost too hot to touch-Solution
2023-06-23 14:15:05 - last edited 2023-06-23 14:15:09

@Iglotent

Hi,

After some e-mail exchanges this is the conclusion:

- Temps normal, EAP653 Slim has temperature safe guards (Without providing you an option to check the temps)

- Units are being tested in conditions of 60C (ok nice but unit getting hot to touch in 24C conditions...)

- It is what it is (Acces points always getting warm/hot because they are passively cooled)

The last mail response I got from TP-Link Support:

Good morning,

There is no place where you can see the temperature of the EAP653, there is no risk of spontaneous combustion and the EAP653 has an automatic temperature control mechanism.

If you have doubts about the integrity of the EAP please request a replacement under warranty with the point of sales, but have in mind that we cannot guarantee that the new device will work cooler than the current EAP653.

We have undergone rigorous temperature testing to ensure stable operation at an ambient temperature of at least 60°C. 

There is no risk of spontaneous combustion and the EAP653 has an automatic temperature control mechanism.

Please be at ease, your EAP653 is working as intended.

Best regards

The company where i bought it from said:

Yes, access points in general can get quite warm.
These are also passively cooled. This is not harmful to the access point.

The product also comes with a limited lifetime warranty, which is 5 to 10 years. As long as it is only about the heat and the access point functions properly, then no action is required.

So yeah, It is what it is.. Definitly will keep an eye on it, if it dies it will be replace with another brand that's for sure. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-14 18:53:34

Here also EAP653, connected to TL-SG2008P via PoE. My 2 EAPs also generate quite a bit of heat, but I'll monitor the situation for now. As far as I can tell, there's been no drop in performance so far, but having a way to check its temperature might not be a bad idea.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1821

Replies: 7

Related Articles