False positives on RxBadPkt on TL-SG116E

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-23 18:32:08 - last edited 2023-06-23 18:33:28
Model: TL-SG116E  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: v2.20

I recently deployed a new TL-SG116E at home wanting to use its "managed" features in my home VLAN setup. To my surprise, once configured, the switch is reporting false positives on tagged port (RxBadPkt counter increases). After searching this forum I found two relevant threads (both already locked, so I had to start a new one):

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/270850

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/83046?replyId=589176

The second reply seems to admit that it is a hardware bug in the switch chip, which misidentifies padded frames as bad ones.

Now, because I bought a new switch a month ago and the topic is two years old, and there is not firmware update for my version, I am confused. Is this an accepted behavior?

I guess, if yes, I cannot accept it, because the RxBadPkt counter is the only diagnostic the switch has and thus the only way to detect the real problems.

I cannot run my home lan watching the RxBadPkt counter continuosly increasing while telling myself that it is as fine as it should.

Since it seems to be (or was) present both 8 and 16 port switches, does anyone know, if there are any other TP-Link switches which work correctly?

Options
2 Reply
Re:False positives on RxBadPkt on TL-SG116E
2023-06-26 07:08:51

@risa2000 

I have checked the original post, and from my understanding, it should be a statistics mechanism of tplink switch and can not be changeable, and it will not affect the actual usage of devices.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:False positives on RxBadPkt on TL-SG116E
2023-06-26 17:46:19

@Virgo 

I believe I arrived at the same understanding as you, but as I wrote in my OP, having a switch with increasing bad packet counter is not acceptable. I have already experienced a bad wire in my lan, and detected it because of the bad packet counter on the switch I have been using at that time.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 414

Replies: 2

Related Articles