DHCP Reservation cannot be deleted, respectively is not freeing the ip

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-26 20:29:47 - last edited 2023-07-21 02:08:23

Hello,

i am using Omada Controler V 5.9.31 and i have a problem with DCHP IP-Reservation.

I have a working DHCP Reservation for a device, the device always gets the definied ip adress. Now the device got defect and i had to replace it. So i deleted the old DHCP Reservation rule under settings/Services/DHCP Reservations  and i created a new one with the new devices under the Client-List ( Config / Use Fixed IP Address).

I used the old IP Adress, after clicking apply i got a "Succeeded" message.

But the IP Adress is not going to be assigned. 

Instead of 192.168.1.57 the device gets 192.168.1.200?

I tried to use a never used IP-Adress (192.168.1.58) and with this adress it is working. 

So using a never used ip is working, using an already once used Ip (but of course the old rule is deleted) is not working?

I looks like the old IP is not freed? 

Any idea why?

Best regards Martin

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:DHCP Reservation cannot be deleted, respectively is not freeing the ip-Solution
2023-06-27 09:58:07 - last edited 2023-07-21 02:08:23

@zmaier 

Try rebooting the Omada gateway, maybe it just doesn't release the IP.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:DHCP Reservation cannot be deleted, respectively is not freeing the ip-Solution
2023-08-03 06:36:05 - last edited 2023-08-03 06:36:09

Hello @zmaier

Thanks for reporting this feedback to the TP-Link community!

The current mechanism of DHCP Reservation is that the router will not take the initiative to release the IP address, you may reboot the router manually or release the original IP address on the original PC.

I've recorded this request and will report it to the developer team for evaluation.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
2023-06-27 09:58:07 - last edited 2023-07-21 02:08:23

@zmaier 

Try rebooting the Omada gateway, maybe it just doesn't release the IP.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:DHCP Reservation cannot be deleted, respectively is not freeing the ip
2023-06-27 10:45:24

@Virgo : Ok, i haven't done the most obvious thing, rebooting the router. 

No it works, the old IP is released. Still i think this is not how it should be?

Options
2023-07-20 16:48:24

@zmaier I had the exact same problem. I had removed the old device from the list of reserved IP addresses and when I assigned the same IP address to the new device it said "Succeeded!" but the new device would never get the correct IP. 

Thanks to this thread I tried rebooting the router (boy does that take long! Several minutes for booting a simple Linux machine??) and there we go: the new device eventually got the IP. 

So there is obviously a bug which results in the DHCP server not releasing the fixed IP.

Considering that the very idea of fixed IPs is that you can control them, this bug defeats the very purpose of fixed IPs. 

Options
2023-08-02 01:51:32

@toffee 

I don't think it is an issue, the DHCP lease expired needs some time, and you can change the lease time as below:

Options
2023-08-02 06:06:11

@Virgo : That's not the case. Still days after deleting the reservation, the ip is not released. So the lease time is definitely elapsed.

Options
2023-08-03 06:36:05 - last edited 2023-08-03 06:36:09

Hello @zmaier

Thanks for reporting this feedback to the TP-Link community!

The current mechanism of DHCP Reservation is that the router will not take the initiative to release the IP address, you may reboot the router manually or release the original IP address on the original PC.

I've recorded this request and will report it to the developer team for evaluation.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 610

Replies: 6

Related Articles