Hats off to TP-Link and OMADA

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-18 11:28:12 - last edited 2023-07-19 01:23:40

I built a WiFi network for the RV Park we are staying in long term. This consists of an EAP610 OD wired to a TL-SG2210MP with an OC200 Controller. The switch in turn in wired to a Unifi UDM Pro Gateway. I have 4 EAP225 OD that are in MESH with the EAP610 OD directly. The switch, gateway and one of the EAP225 OD are on UPS systems so the park maintains internet connectivity during short power outages and power flickers. Throw in 12 Pan and Tilt cameras, some of which are also on UPS.

We really liked the features offered on the Unifi Gateway. Information, options, threat management, etc.. all work great. So we decided to go all UNIFI. So I ordered replacements for the 5 total TP-Link Acess Points. I took down the TP-Link and deployed the UNIFI system in the same exact locations and configured channels identically since I had already determined the channels of least interference. Everything worked great and performance was measurably better.

The issue came when I decided to put the system to the test when it comes to scheduled or unscheduled and unexpected system reboots that might happen due to power failure or for whatever reason. A simple reboot of the UNIFI UDM Pro Gateway, which is the heart of the UNIFI MESH, resulted in total chaos. The MESH would not reestablish and required that I go to each AP and hard reset to adopt again. This is an issue since some of the APs are not on UPS and also some power outages here can extend longer than the UPS system can maintain. The system always found and configured the APs quickly and without issue but a simple reboot, which I tested multiple times, always required a hard reset of most, if not all of the APs.

So hats off to TP-Link, which I have redeployed after the failed UNIFI switchover. I have never had an issue with the Omada setup dropping MESH. I do scheduled reboots of each device and I have literally never had a failed MESH recovery with Omada. The performance is not quite up to par with UNIFI but the reliabilty in my experience far exceeds UNIFI and it outweighs the performance difference.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Hats off to TP-Link and OMADA
2023-07-19 03:07:49 - last edited 2023-07-19 03:08:33

Hello  @RickJamesBish,

Thank you for your valued feedback and sharing! Glad to hear that your concern was resolved finally.

Hope you enjoy the Internet with TP-Link products and have a great day!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 182

Replies: 1

Related Articles