Mesh OutDoor Wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Mesh OutDoor Wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Mesh OutDoor Wifi
Mesh OutDoor Wifi
2023-07-25 10:42:33 - last edited 2023-07-26 00:53:49

I just purchased two of these, TP-Link AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Indoor/Outdoor Access Point (EAP225-Outdoor) | AU Version | from Amazon

I did this on the basis I could connect one to my indoor router, run an ethernet cable outside and mount it on my roof to get better outdoor internet, this works fine, the second I was putting on my shed which is 50 - 60 meters away, I have a weak signal from the first one on my house so this was to get a better signal and mesh the two.

Issue is now I have the two, it appears they both need to be connected via Ethernet connection, I thought the first needed to be Ethernet, but the second could connect via wifi.

Am I right here? Is there something I can do to make this work, or do I need ANOTHER main device to make this work?

Thanks

Options
5 Reply
Re:Mesh OutDoor Wifi
2023-07-25 14:14:18 - last edited 2023-07-26 00:53:49

@Ziggy77 

Check this post to get an answer to your question.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-07-26 11:31:11 - last edited 2023-07-26 11:41:12

@Ziggy77 You need either the Omada Software Controller or a hardware controller like the TP-Link OC200 to enable MESH.

For full functionality, whichever controller option you choose must be running at all times. For that reason I recommend the OC200 since it is very small, plugs right into your network and is easy to set up. It is also inexpensive considering its function. You will also be prepared to expand with other Omada APs and/or equipment down the road, for example if you decide to add indoor APs.

OC200 Amazon TP-Link Store

Options
2023-07-28 23:40:20

@RickJamesBish thaanks for that info, very helpful, right now they are plugged into my internet Apple Airport internal network, I plan to replace this with a tp-link network and sell my Apple stuff, ideally the internal network and external network are all the same SSID, have you any recommendations for an internal router / WIFI that either connects to the OMADA or replaces the need for it?

Many thanks for any advice

Options
2023-07-29 01:48:12 - last edited 2023-07-29 01:50:28

@Ziggy77 I do not now for sure but I don't think their Omada Routers have built in controllers or WiFi. It would be really nice if the controller were part of it. The hardware controllers are the OC200 and OC300.

If you wanted to stay all Omada you would need something like the ER605 Router with an OC200 connected to it and then something like the EAP225 Indoor AP wired to the Router as a Wired AP (Root AP) for Mesh. 

That is just based off what I have picked up being here on the forums so which devices you choose you may want to research more and get more input. The router choice does not have to be Omada. You can connect the OC200 controller to a router of your choice as well as wire an AP into it. The MESH and Omada features will still work on everything that is OMADA on the network.

I think for and ER605, OC200 and something like an EAP225 indoor you looking right at $200.

Options
2023-08-07 06:16:42

@RickJamesBish this all works great, thanks for your advice.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 499

Replies: 5

Related Articles