UI and Menu options of VIGI NVR1008H(UN) 2.0

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-30 07:25:23 - last edited 2023-08-03 06:57:35
Model: VIGI NVR1008H  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 230609 Rel.43669n

I had a few questions clarifications regarding applicability of the menus available on VIGI NVR 1008H V2 when paired with Tapo C320WS V2 cameras – paired wirelessly.  

• Version : VIGI NVR1008H(UN) 2.0 Firmware : 1.0.5 Build 230609 Rel.43669n
  • Wirelessly connected Cameras : Tapo C320WS  (Hardware Version2 , Firmware 1.0.5 Build 230316 Rel.55457n)  ONVIF used to connect to NVR.
  • I have both Tapo and VIGI app installed on my android device and feeds are available on both Apps.
  • RTSP stream can also be viewed in a laptop through VLC player.

1. NVR is connected to the Router via Ethernet port , while the cameras are connected to  the same router wirelessly. Under this setup, the cameras cannot be detected automatically by the NVR. I had reserved the IPs of my NVR and Tapo Cameras on the router and was able to manually add the cameras using the IP and camera account details. Once these details were manually provided, the connection was almost immediate. Since the IPs are reserved , there is automatic reconnection between NVR and Cameras  in-case a device is rebooted / power outage happens. My question is given that both products are by TP-Link and running latest firmwares, shouldn’t the camera be detected automatically rather than manual addition being required , when a new camera is added ?
  2. Though Day of the week can be selected on the OSD menu of the NVR and the setting can be saved – however the same does not come up on the display. Only the Camera name and time stamp appears. While this is not a problem , it seems to be a bug as the option is available on the NVR menu but has no effect on the recording. The position of the Time stamp and camera name can be moved , since it can be moved , there should have been an option to align the text accordingly.
  3. In the NVR – Settings -> Camera -> Display -> Image Menu . This one has a host of sub menu options but it seems that only Brightness , Contrast , Saturation and Sharpness can be adjusted and all other submenus (like Exposure , Infrared Light seetings)  do not work for C320WS.  Is this a bug or by design ?
  4. In the NVR – Settings -> Camera -> Display -> OSD. “Day of the week” is greyed out here and cannot be selected. However on the main camera screen (when displayed on a connected TV) OSD menu , it can be selected. But as pointed out earlier is has no affect. Again , this seems like a bug ?
  5. In the NVR – Settings -> Camera -> Stream  -> Videos. Video encoding is greyed out and set to H.264 . While setting up the camera on the NVR, the option to use H.265 is there and was selected , but this seems to have no effect on the NVR. Does VIGI NVR1008H(UN) 2.0 not support H.265 for Tapo C320WS V2 OR is this again a bug ?
  6. When watching camera feed as a full screen on a TV , selecting any resolution other than “adaptive” on the NVR  results in onscreen (OSD) menu options flowing out of the viewing area.
  7. In the NVR – Settings -> Event  -> Smart Event detection. 
  • For “Motion detection” only sensitivity can be set. All other submenus for Motion is unavailable.
  • Entire menu option for “Intrusion detection” , “Line Crossing Detection” , “Region Entering Detection” , “Region Exiting Detection” , “Object Abandoned Detection”, “Vehicle Detection” , “Human Detection”  are not available at all.
  •  Interestingly most of these menus are there and available in the Tapo app for C320WS , but not available in the NVR. Is this a bug or by design to force the customer to opt for a cloud storage option ? It seems strange that manufacturer camera options do not work on the same manufacturer NVR.

In summary , the menu system & UI of the NVR seems to be buggy and poorly designed and not user friendly at all. The online user manual for the NVR is of little use.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:UI and Menu options of VIGI NVR1008H(UN) 2.0 -Solution
2023-07-31 07:24:45 - last edited 2023-08-03 06:57:35

Hi @A_Roy 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

A:

1. Supposedly, yes. It should pick it up automatically. But Tapo is not a business product. I am not familiar with it and unable to tell if there is an issue with it. Or it's wireless. You need to enable UPNP. ONVIF can auto-discover devices but you still need to enter the username and password.

2. With the VIGI cam, we are able to show both date, time, and other OSD.

3. It could be the compatibility. Not a bug or design. On VIGI cams, we don't see this issue.

4. We connect the VIGI cam to a monitor with a VIGI NVR, this issue never appeared on any of the VIGI products we tested.

5. It supports H.265 and other formats.

Well, it seems that Tapo does not support so.

6. I am not sure about the TV you mentioned. But in our lab, I tested it with a 20-inch monitor and it seems to work fine with it. The devices are VIGI cam and NVR. Not buggy with the OSD. What kind of resolution do you use?

7. Like most questions you brought up, we don't run into issues with the VIGI cam. If the VIGI cam support related smart event or detection, it works perfectly fine. Still seem to be compatible. Either your Tapo does not support or the API is not open for VIGI.

These detections are proprietary features for the VIGI cams... Yup, you got these features on the NVR. But your cams are not supporting them.. It ain't our fault. 

Moreover, there is no cloud service or storage for the VIGI product line. Reason why? Because it's a more professional security camera solution. There is no need to use cloud storage. Most professional security camera solution is based on hard drive storage and NVR. Usually, the device is locked and secured in a security room.

VIGI app provides the online live stream but it is free. Just stream and watch the playback. You get this data from the local NVR by Internet access.

I am not gonna point fingers but this seems to be a problem with the camera. VIGI and Tapo are two different solutions for business and home. Though the stream is ONVIF Profile S, API may not be open for our NVR. Or Tapo simply does not support these features.

(If you say you see these features available on Tapo, is that premium service on the Tapo app? If yes, then it is typically an OTA service. There is no way that's open for VIGI.)

I work for the business product line and above is my knowledge. Some presumptions are based on my work experience.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:UI and Menu options of VIGI NVR1008H(UN) 2.0 -Solution
2023-07-31 07:24:45 - last edited 2023-08-03 06:57:35

Hi @A_Roy 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

A:

1. Supposedly, yes. It should pick it up automatically. But Tapo is not a business product. I am not familiar with it and unable to tell if there is an issue with it. Or it's wireless. You need to enable UPNP. ONVIF can auto-discover devices but you still need to enter the username and password.

2. With the VIGI cam, we are able to show both date, time, and other OSD.

3. It could be the compatibility. Not a bug or design. On VIGI cams, we don't see this issue.

4. We connect the VIGI cam to a monitor with a VIGI NVR, this issue never appeared on any of the VIGI products we tested.

5. It supports H.265 and other formats.

Well, it seems that Tapo does not support so.

6. I am not sure about the TV you mentioned. But in our lab, I tested it with a 20-inch monitor and it seems to work fine with it. The devices are VIGI cam and NVR. Not buggy with the OSD. What kind of resolution do you use?

7. Like most questions you brought up, we don't run into issues with the VIGI cam. If the VIGI cam support related smart event or detection, it works perfectly fine. Still seem to be compatible. Either your Tapo does not support or the API is not open for VIGI.

These detections are proprietary features for the VIGI cams... Yup, you got these features on the NVR. But your cams are not supporting them.. It ain't our fault. 

Moreover, there is no cloud service or storage for the VIGI product line. Reason why? Because it's a more professional security camera solution. There is no need to use cloud storage. Most professional security camera solution is based on hard drive storage and NVR. Usually, the device is locked and secured in a security room.

VIGI app provides the online live stream but it is free. Just stream and watch the playback. You get this data from the local NVR by Internet access.

I am not gonna point fingers but this seems to be a problem with the camera. VIGI and Tapo are two different solutions for business and home. Though the stream is ONVIF Profile S, API may not be open for our NVR. Or Tapo simply does not support these features.

(If you say you see these features available on Tapo, is that premium service on the Tapo app? If yes, then it is typically an OTA service. There is no way that's open for VIGI.)

I work for the business product line and above is my knowledge. Some presumptions are based on my work experience.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:UI and Menu options of VIGI NVR1008H(UN) 2.0
2023-07-31 14:12:28

@Clive_A Thank you so much for providing that detailed input.

Options
Re:UI and Menu options of VIGI NVR1008H(UN) 2.0
2023-08-04 18:15:08 - last edited 2023-08-04 18:15:28

@A_Roy 

Unfortunately TP-Link make no effort to integrate with their own Tapo camera into VIGI NVR despite it's the only NVR they provide (there's no Tapo NVR).

Options