EAP 650 frequently misses heartbeats and loses connection.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-09 11:15:03 - last edited 2023-08-15 07:33:06
Tags: #Firmware Update #adoption loop
Model: EAP650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1.0.9

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking help. Our company set up two 650 EAPs for a customer. An Omada Software Controller V5.9.31 is installed on a Windows Server 2019. Both EAPs are adopted and show up in the controller. One of the EAP 650 is frequently missing heartbeats. The Omada Software Controller shows a uptime between 20 and 60 minutes before the EAP loses its connection. The faulty EAP 650 is connected via LAN with a Netgear 305P switch and uses POE. I already swapped the faulty EAP 650 with the working one and had no issues with the same switch and connection via LAN.

Due to the known issue of EAP stuck in an adoption loop (referring to this post: EAP650 | EAP670 May Fall into Adoption Loop or Stuck in Disconnected State [Updated on Aug 4th 2023] - Business Community), I installed the beta firmware 1.0.9 on the faulty EAP 650 in the hope of fixing the problem. Additionally, I manually set the channel of the 5 GHz radio to 36/5180MHz, as according to the post, any channel except for channels 120, 124, or 128 should be okay. The AI WIFI optimization was never enabled.

After these steps, the faulty EAP 650 still loses connection by skipping heartbeats in the software controller. Is this a known behavior? What seems to be the problem? The Watchguard Traffic Monitors shows that the device sends a DHCP request every time the faulty EAP disconnects.

Thanks in advance for possible solutions.
Marcel

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:EAP 650 frequently misses heartbeats and loses connection.-Solution
2023-08-10 17:23:00 - last edited 2023-08-15 07:26:21

@Marcel_Haase 

Have you tried to set a ping to the AP, Switch, and router, to confirm during outage, nothing else goes down?

Try another switch port?

Switch showing any errors?  Like STP errors?

edit: disregard the switch questions... its a dumb poe switch. but try another port tho. 

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-15 07:32:58 - last edited 2023-08-18 07:53:00

Thanks to you @KimcheeGUN,

I could resolve the problem by further inspecting the switch. The EAPs requiere the POE+ (IEEE 802.3at) standard, and the switch is rated for POE (IEE 802.3af). Therefore, the EAP frequently lost power and rebooted. I attached the power adapter, and the EAP has not rebooted since then.

Thanks for the advice; I will lock this thread now.

Marcel

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:EAP 650 frequently misses heartbeats and loses connection.
2023-08-10 06:29:53 - last edited 2023-08-10 06:31:07

Hello @Marcel_Haase,

Could you exchange the Root AP and Mesh AP for testing?

Please make sure they are in the same channel otherwise they can not establish the Mesh network.

Please try to set the AP into different channels and channel widths for testing. You may try using this faulty EAP in standalone mode to check whether the disconnected issue still occurs or not.

May I know the distance between two EAP670s?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-08-10 13:23:08

Hello @Hank21,

Thank you for the quick response. I forgot to mention that both EAP 650 are wired via LAN to the Omada Controller and are not configured as mesh, but are still broadcasting the same SSID. The Omada Controller shows in the menu for the mesh configuration that both EAPs are currently wired and no up- or downlink devices are set. The faulty one was used before as a standalone AP and did work without disconnects.

I now copied the configuration of the functional EAP to the faulty one to ensure they're using the same channel configuration. I will try different channel settings for both EAPs and report on that later on.

Thanks for your advice.

Options
2023-08-10 17:23:00 - last edited 2023-08-15 07:26:21

@Marcel_Haase 

Have you tried to set a ping to the AP, Switch, and router, to confirm during outage, nothing else goes down?

Try another switch port?

Switch showing any errors?  Like STP errors?

edit: disregard the switch questions... its a dumb poe switch. but try another port tho. 

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-11 09:10:43 - last edited 2023-08-14 08:42:44

Hello, @KimcheeGUN 

Thank you for your advice.

The functional EAP is now connected to the switch that was used for the faulty one and has an uptime of two days and 20 minutes. The faulty one uses the switch that was used for the functional EAP, and it's again missing a heartbeat, getting adopted, and then being online again. The router is stable and in daily use by our client and his employees. There has been no downtime in the meantime. I also changed the configuration from DHCP to a different static IP address to rule out an IP address conflict with another device, but the problem persists. The time between the missed heartbeats does range between 3 minutes and sometimes 1 and a half hours. Regarding the fix for the channel issue, as far as I understand, a wired EAP would not lose its connection to the Omada Software controller since it is not connected via WI-FI, is this assumption right?

I downloaded the device info of the EAP. The device info log is attached to this post. The event "disconnect" gets logged and the reason "on discovery" is given. The events are repeated in a loop. I could not find information to the stated reason "on discovery".

The next thing I will try is to power the faulty EAP with the included power adapter, I will report on the results.

Have a great week

Marcel

File:
34-60-F9-2C-9B-C6_deviceInfo_2023-08-14-10-14.zipDownload
Options
2023-08-15 07:32:58 - last edited 2023-08-18 07:53:00

Thanks to you @KimcheeGUN,

I could resolve the problem by further inspecting the switch. The EAPs requiere the POE+ (IEEE 802.3at) standard, and the switch is rated for POE (IEE 802.3af). Therefore, the EAP frequently lost power and rebooted. I attached the power adapter, and the EAP has not rebooted since then.

Thanks for the advice; I will lock this thread now.

Marcel

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 894

Replies: 5

Tags

Firmware Update
adoption loop
Related Articles