OS 200 mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

OS 200 mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
OS 200 mesh
OS 200 mesh
2023-08-16 01:12:54 - last edited 2023-08-17 00:51:00

Hey, not sure if this is even the right category... I'm brand new to mesh, specifically omada systems. 

I currently have a mess of a system to get coverage on our acreage and wanted to switch to a mesh system. I've ordered a couple omada wall mounted APs, an outdoor omada AP and a OS200 controller.

Do I have this correct:

My Archer AX10 router is mesh compatible but not omada so I'll disable wifi in it and only use it as a router

APs plugged into the router (not done yet)

OS200 plugged into the main router. 

Or do I also need an omada compatible router?

I had the OS200 plugged in and via the android app tried to create a mesh system but it first asked to connect to my wireless gateway. So it implied the only way to continue was to also have a different router. So do I really need a new omada compatible router? I also don't have the APs wired in yet but was just checking out the app. I don't see how plugging in an AP would change anything since its first asking for a wireless gateway. If I do need a new router as well, which ones are compatible? 

Thanks

Options
23 Reply
Re:OS 200 mesh
2023-08-16 04:03:22 - last edited 2023-08-18 01:27:37

@Kevin676 

You're on the right path and you can build Omada mesh with AX10 - just use the WebGUI of the OC200 - here's an example.

Depending on which AP model you've ordered it's worth to check this FAQ as well - it applies to these AP models - EAP620 HD, EAP245 (V3), EAP265 HD.

Here's how to adopt EAPs in controller mode.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-08-16 18:47:56 - last edited 2023-08-17 00:51:00

@terziyski 

Hey, I ordered the EAP610 and EAP615. So my plan was to use one in the house plugged into my AX10, disable AX10 wifi because from what I can figure I need to only use that as a router for proper mesh. I guess what confused me was all the router settings in the OC200 web, so do I just ignore that all since I'm not using an omada router? I assume those only apply if you are using an omada router. Or does the controller still assign IP (DHCP) even if I'm using the AX10 as the router? If so, then I guess I also need to disable the AX DHCP. If the controller does DHCP and I plan to disable the AX10 wifi then can I just skip the AX router?

The outdoor one at the shop to act as wifi and a wireless bridge between the house EAP and the shop EAP. Inside the shop another wall mount EAP to make sure good wifi inside. Do they all need to be hard lined back to the house router/switch? I think I understood that you can use them as a wireless bridge and mesh wifi. If I have to run a hard line from the shop to the house this is pointless.

Finally, what is the purpose of the right port (none pke) on the OC200, I plugged something into that and did not get any internet. 

Thanks.

Options
2023-08-17 03:20:49

@Kevin676 

Hi, Omada gateway is not a necessary choice but the DHCP server is, so you just need to make sure you have a router which is the DHCP Server in your network, it will be OK.

And the OC200, EAPs will obtain the valid IP from your router, and mesh means at least one root AP hardwired connecting to the router, and others can connect to the root AP wirelessly.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-08-17 03:50:14

@Virgo Thanks fo the confirmation i was doing it correctly. I spent hours doing it over and over with factory resets in between. All of their guides are totally useless. I hardwired one EAP, adopted it and the wireless EAP were never found. Ive printed my return label and they are ready to drop off tomorrow. Really too bad since i spent $600 with plans of spending even more and they couldn't even provide products which worked as per their own guides. I don't understand why they cant at least provide useful guides or tech support who does more than just follow their own guides....

Oh well, good bye TP Link I guess.

Options
2023-08-18 02:10:34

@Kevin676 

Hi, based on my experience, you need to put the root AP and the Mesh AP in the same channel, it means you can try different channels on the root AP but not choose auto for testing. It usually fixes the issue for me.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-08-18 03:02:28

@Kevin676 Do you realize that an ER605 Omada compatible router is only $60?  I don't think you can find more bang for your buck than using an Omada network for what you're trying to do.  This system doesn't have the "how to" guides you're looking for because it's a business class system and there are practically infinite different ways to configure it, from simple to very advanced.

I do believe you have been reading some of the forums and getting pieces of information based on some of the terms you're using so my advice is keep at it and keep asking for help.  My advice would be to get the Omada router and if you want to save some costs and need a switch, just get a cheap one or use an existing one.  For how you're using this, you wouldn't be missing much functionality with non-Omada switches.

Also, you mentioned using your EAP's to bridge to another building.  I believe what you're trying to do is technically mesh your wifi to your other building.  This should work okay as long as the distance isn't too great, I wouldn't go over 150-200 feet with clear line of site.  Be prepared for some speed drop over that distance as well.

Don't give up just yet and don't be afraid to ask more questions.

Options
2023-08-18 03:09:38

@Gnac 

Thanks for the info, that's very helpful!

I was coming on here to ask what model of router works with this because I didn't find much info and noticed you replied as well. Does the ER605 have a built in controller or do I still need the OS200? I don't understand why there doesn't seem to be a router with wifi and has a controller built in. Unless there is but not for my price... Seems like it's a compartmental type setup instead of one device to accomplish what you need. 

Options
2023-08-18 03:37:11

@Kevin676 I use OC200 controllers on all the Omada networks I install.  You can use a free version running on a PC on your network but I've found that it's just so easy and convenient to use their own controller.  So, yes, you will still need your OC200 even with their router but there are some advantages to that as well.

If you go to Walmart and buy an off the shelf "router", what you're really getting is four devices in one package: router, switch, wifi access point, and controller.  Omada breaks this down a bit and for many reasons.  The basic system you want to start with is the OC200 controller, ER605 router, and an access point hard wired into the router (which does have 4 ports you can use).  I always use the phone app to do the initial setup since I'm usually setting this up in a closet or utility room.  I assume you have the app installed on your phone so adding the network into your TP Link Omada account (free) is as easy as following the prompts on the app and pointing your phone at the qr code on the bottom of the OC200.  Once you've got your basic network name and wifi SSID set up, the app will go out and find your router and AP and prompt you to adopt them into the network.  Once that is done you can now add any other AP's you may have.  Once they've powered up for a couple minutes, you will see them on the app and are able to adopt them into the network.  All the settings will be applied to the new AP's and you will have a working mesh system.

If you have been experimenting in trying to set them up as stand alone, I would highly recommend that you factory reset them before trying to adopt them into the network.

As long as your AP in the other building is close enough to communicate with the hard wired AP, it will show up as able to be adopted into the network.

You do have to be a bit patient when you do this.  You can't do the qr code thing until the OC200 has connected to the internet (you can tell when the second green light starts blinking) which can take 10 minutes, which feels like 3 hours when you're just staring at it waiting...

I hope this helps,

Options
2023-08-18 04:33:14

@Gnac perfect, yeah sounds like I was very close. I had it set up and the hard wired AP worked but none of the remote, no wired ones were found to adopt. I even had the remote ones sitting beside the other AP to test. I was using an Archer AX10 as the router so not an omada device. I just ordered that router, whatever model you said. Hopefully by swapping the router will allow it to work better and find the remote APs. To me that doesn't really make sense because that sounds like a controller issue but I'm also new to this. I'm good with basic, home use networking but this is new to me. 

I guess since these are commercial products they except most will hire an IT person to set it up. And now that I think of it, compartmentalized setups do make sense, if one part dies you just change that part. If one part in my AX10 dies, the whole thing gets tossed. I'm a very small setup but if you are running a massive operation, individual parts make more sense and so much cheaper to maintain when swapping parts. A traditional, home use router is like buying a new car when the oil needs changed. These setups are like only changing the oil and not buying a new car just because it needs an oil change...

I appreciate the explanations!

Options
2023-08-18 04:49:02 - last edited 2023-08-18 04:56:10

@Kevin676 

Actually there is such device (3 in 1) - a router, PoE+ switch and controller combined - ER7212PC.

It really depends on your budget whether to consider it or not.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1553

Replies: 23

Related Articles