OS 200 mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

OS 200 mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
23 Reply
Re:OS 200 mesh
2023-08-18 06:22:40 - last edited 2023-08-18 06:47:04

@Kevin676 

I do not use and Omada router in my setup,  Your current Archer router should work fine providing 2 main function,  routing internet traffic from your LAN and providing DHCP services to the internal LAN.   So in this case you will ignore all the router settings in the Omada controller, they will not apply to you.    Your Omada controller will just be used for wi-fi setup. Yes it is a bit confusing when you see all the router setup in the controller but just ignore it. You will also see something in the controller about it not seeing the internet gateway,  again just ignore it.  As for your mesh not working,  are you sure you turned mesh on in the controller under  settings/site?  There is a link above with instructions in an earlier post.    I am not in front of my controller,   (I use software controller on Windows 11 PC)  but there may be one additional step I had to do in the individual   AP config to get the mesh working.   I do remember adopting my AP wired first and then moving it off the LAN via Mesh, although that is not a necessary step as others have indicated.    Good luck.        

Options
2023-08-18 14:51:19

@s_track that is weird then. Yes mesh was enabled in site. I don't recall seeing any other setting or checkboxes for mech. I tried plugging all APs into the router and yes I was able to adopt them but they didn't mesh and when I disconnected them from the router they never reconnected to the hardwired AP. I don't think I was doing anything wrong, it just wasn't meshing wirelessly. 

Options
2023-08-18 15:17:25

@Kevin676 

Ok good that mesh is enabled.   I was using Mesh with the outdoor AP which unfortunately I sent back to TPLink for warrantee replacement.  It’s on it way back now,  once I get it and adopt I will report back to you on the mesh config.  Make sure you have 5Ghz enabled on the APs since it will need that for the mesh link.   Note if you going under the device settings, you do have a mesh tab which will give you information on the current link,  maybe you can see something there. 

Options
2023-08-19 03:21:30 - last edited 2023-08-19 03:22:29

@Kevin676 

I received my 610 outdoor AP replacement today.    All I did was supply power to the 610 and in about 1 min it appeared as a device ready to adopt in the controller.   Once I adopted, it asked me which of my existing wired APs to pair with.  Note I think you need at least 1 wired AP on your lan to have  a mech although I have not tested this.  

Options
2023-08-19 03:41:47

@s_track  thanks for the update. I forget the model of the indoor APs but when I was reading the amazon description today mesh was not on there anymore. It was an EAP something and said omada so I maybe assumed but in all the settings never found mesh settings of any kind on the device screen. The EAP 610 outdoor does have mesh setting within the device so I think they just sold me incompatible ones.

I liked that one because I could have it inside the shop and has ports on it as well so can hardline my camera system off that but those ones apparently don't mesh. I might just keep the 610 for outside and scrap this whole mesh idea. The lack of description or misleading description kinda turned me off

Options
2023-08-19 10:38:12 - last edited 2023-08-19 10:40:27

@Kevin676 

I think you solved  the mystery.    My EAP 610 and EAP 610-outdoor have the mesh tab in device config.   My EAP 615-wall does not.   In fact if you go to TP-Link's page for Omada business APs, you can filter on Mesh which produces a list with the on wall units removed.     In my case I have a mesh between an EAP-610 and an EAP 610-Outdoor.  Hopefully a combination of 610s will work for you and you can send the 615s back.   Make sure one is wired.   Good luck.    

Options
2023-08-19 11:49:29

@Kevin676 The 615 is compatible with the Omada system.  The reason the 615 doesn't have a mesh setting is because it must be wired directly to the network.  The mesh settings in the AP's aren't related to meshing user devices but wirelessly meshing with each other.  If you had 10 AP's set up in your network and they were all wired into the network, you could turn mesh off on all of them and the system would work just fine.  I install wifi systems in challenging areas, mostly campgrounds and RV parks.  I try to have every one of my AP's hard wired and I even use wifi bridges to accomplish this.  What the mesh settings allows is a failover.  If something happens to the ethernet line or the bridge going to the AP and it loses it's ethernet connection, the mesh setting allows it to automatically go out and link to another AP wirelessly and literally repair itself.

I think you may just be overthinking this whole thing.  These things really do install themselves once the basics are completed.  If you've been changing settings a lot, my advice would be to "forget" the two AP's, do a factory reset on them, and adopt them back in starting with the 615.

How are you providing power to the 615?  

Options
2023-08-19 14:05:58

@Gnac  makes sense. I am powering the 615 with its own poe injector. The 615 seems to be the problem. I need wireless mesh to get from my house to the shop. I can just run a line but it's a real pain with some gas lines in the way, plus conduit etc to prevent animals from chewing it... I chose the 615 because it has other ports. I have a camera system in the shop which is hardwired and doesn't have wifi. I have been able to wirelessly mesh into the shop then plug my camera into the 615. Except as I've learned, the 615 does not appear to wirelessly mesh like the other units do. 

I did consider buying another outdoor one and use that to wirelessly mesh (bridge) to the shop. The problem with that is I have no way to convert the shop to wired for the camera system. It seems like any mesh compatible units only have 1 port for power/network connection.

It appears my only option is no mesh or runs lines underground.

Options
2023-08-19 14:07:48

@s_track thanks. I think that's exactly what I figured. I'd need 610s and 610 outdoors. The 615 won't do what I want. See my comments below, the extra ports is why I picked the 615 but that's the one which doesn't mesh 

Options
2023-08-19 14:31:46

@Kevin676 Can I suggest another solution that is definitely easier than running a line out to your garage and probably cheaper?  Get yourself a pair of CPE210's and install a true bridge.  They are not very expensive at $40 each from Amazon.  There are Youtube videos out there to help set them up and I'm happy to assist you as well.  Once in place, there's almost no maintenance to them, they just work.  Once you have the bridge running, you can route the LAN port on the POE injector that powers the CPE210 into the 615 in your garage and it will work just fine.  You will be limited to 100 mbit but that should be fine for what you're looking for.  

I didn't fully understand your layout, now I believe I do.

If you do decide to go this route, make sure you get a couple of mounting brackets for the CPE210's, they are designed to mount to a pole, like an antenna pole.  They are easy to mount and come with a couple strong zip ties for this.

I believe your network will look something like this:  Modem -- Router -- POE injector -- CPE210 )))))((((( CPE210 -- POE injector(poe port) --LAN port -- EAP615

That will make the 615 run as if it's plugged directly into your router.  Omada will show this as a wired connection so don't get confused.  I like to explain a wifi bridge as a "wireless wire".

You're very close, don't give up just yet.  I don't believe you've wasted any money on components you can't use. 

Options
Related Articles