Access-Point only working when connected to omada switch directly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-11 13:16:53
Model: EAP670  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I just puchased an omada PoE+ switch (TL-SG2008P) and a EAP670 access point. When I connect the AP directly to the switch, wich is connected to a pfsense firewall/router, everything works as expected. But if I connect the switch to the network socket in the wall and the access point to the corresponding socket in the corridor, it seems that the AP is not able to connect to the router anymore (getting no ip adress).

The router itself is also connected via network socket to the modem in the corridor. For me the strange thing is: For the router/firewall it does not matter in wich of the two ports I plug the lan cable: Internet is always working fine. The problem seems only to appear for the AP, but not for the router/internet connection.

So in my opinion this must be a problem with the AP and not with the network sockets in the wall.

Please note, that I tested multiple cables. All worked when directly connected to the switch.

I would appreciate any help with this problem.

Thanks and best regards,
Frank

Options
8 Reply
Re:Access-Point only working when connected to omada switch directly
2023-09-11 14:22:14

@frankvanlampe 

That’s not an AP problem. You have tried the AP and it worked.

How much do you know about those wall sockets? How are they wired? In networking, each socket should be connected to a separate wire. Wires from all sockets should go to a central location where they can be connected to a switch. Those wires may not be split or directly connected. If your wiring is different, it is probably meant to be used for something else than networking.

Kris K
Options
2023-09-11 15:02:40

@KJK thanks for your response.

I installed the network cables myself. That are normal cat 7 network cables. As I mentioned, the network traffic via my pfsense to the internet is working fine on both ports. The access point is also getting power via the ports. Only the connection to the router seems not to work.

Maybe I can organize a simple test device to check  the single phases. But I am still a bit confused that the connection to the modem is working fine over both  ports.

Best regards,
Frank

Options
2023-09-11 16:18:02

@frankvanlampe 

It looks like both ports are connected to the modem and that's an issue.

Kris K
Options
2023-09-11 17:54:00

@KJK no that are two separate cables, one port is connected to the modem and the other one to the AP. The one from the modem goes to the Wan interface of the pfsense box, the one from the ap to the switch. The switch ist connected to the lan port of the pfsense box.

Options
2023-09-11 19:18:52

@frankvanlampe 

If all connections are correct, I would blame the wiring for the trouble. The only thing that is different from your original connection is the addition of that wiring. Also, I believe I’ve seen some messages where people had issues when they used shielded cables with POE devices, but I can’t recall any details. 

Kris K
Options
2023-09-11 19:20:20

@frankvanlampe 

If all connections are correct, I would blame the wiring for the trouble. The only thing that is different from your originals connection is the addition of that wiring. Also, I believe I’ve seen some messages where people had issues when they used shielded cables with POE devices, but I can’t recall any details.

Kris K
Options
2023-09-12 06:57:25

@KJK here is what I tested:

Omada AP without POE (separate Poweradapter) via omada switch to network socket--> no connection
Fritz-Repeater as LAN-Bridge via omada  switch to network socket  --> no connection

To make sure the issue is not related to the omada switch, I tested an unmanaged netgear switch. With this, everything works fine. Both devices (Fritz Repeater as lan bridge and omada access point)  are getting an IP from pfsense and  wlan works as expected.

For me it looks like neither the cabling nor the AP is the problem, but the switch.

Options
2023-09-12 12:17:33

@frankvanlampe 

Yeah, you may be an unlucky owner of a POE switch that can’t work with shielded cables. I think I’ve seen a case like that where there was no necessary circuit separation in the switch for that.

Was the unmanaged switch POE? Have you tried to connect the switch to the wall socket with an unshielded cable? Just curious…

Kris K
Options