Trunk on multiple ports

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Trunk on multiple ports

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Trunk on multiple ports
Trunk on multiple ports
2023-09-19 03:50:52 - last edited 2023-10-31 09:17:58
Model: TL-SG3428MP  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 4.0.1 Build 20220606 Rel.58990

Hello everyone,

On the port 24 there is connected the trunk with ID 10

I need to replicate the trunk port 24 on multiple ports (19-20-21-22-23) for to connect more switch with same trunk.

Below the configuration:

VLAN 10 is a trunk defined

With the old GUI I could define the port as "TRUNK", now with the new GUI it is no longer possible and despite several tests I have not been able to solve it at the moment.

Can someone help me ?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Trunk on multiple ports-Solution
2023-09-20 17:33:48 - last edited 2023-10-31 09:18:16

@Mediaconverter 

I’ve noticed that you gave the label  “TRUNK” to a VLAN so maybe your understanding of a “trunk” is not correct. A trunk is not a VLAN. It is a link between two devices that can carry traffic of multiple VLANs. As in any link, there are two ports there. Those ports need to be configured as “trunk” ports. You do that by adding those ports to each VLAN as TAGGED. However if one of those VLANs is meant to work with untagged traffic,  often VLAN 1, you mark those ports as UNTAGGED in that VLAN and set their PVIDs to that VLAN's ID.

Kris K
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-09-25 01:36:39 - last edited 2023-10-31 09:17:58

@Mediaconverter 

Mediaconverter wrote

@Tedd404 

I've already done but doesn't work

Below the current setup, where I wrong?:

Many thanks

would be much easier if you could look it up on the internet. the key is that trunk is a term. new version does not show that but it does not mean there isn't trunk anymore. 

this lvlan. would be helpful 

networkacademy(dot)io/ccna/ethernet/vlan-trunking

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Trunk on multiple ports
2023-09-19 08:09:34

@Mediaconverter 

select the port you wanna trunk in the individual vlan, as tagged. that's it. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-09-20 03:56:39

@Tedd404 

Many thanks

Options
2023-09-20 17:33:48 - last edited 2023-10-31 09:18:16

@Mediaconverter 

I’ve noticed that you gave the label  “TRUNK” to a VLAN so maybe your understanding of a “trunk” is not correct. A trunk is not a VLAN. It is a link between two devices that can carry traffic of multiple VLANs. As in any link, there are two ports there. Those ports need to be configured as “trunk” ports. You do that by adding those ports to each VLAN as TAGGED. However if one of those VLANs is meant to work with untagged traffic,  often VLAN 1, you mark those ports as UNTAGGED in that VLAN and set their PVIDs to that VLAN's ID.

Kris K
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-09-21 05:29:46

Hi  @KJK 

Many thanks for your reply and suggestion,

Below is the configuration of the existing Trunk in the TL-SG3424 switch with old GUI.

As per the images, in the old GUI the TRUNK was also allocated with PVID.

Now with the new GUI I have difficulty getting the TRUNK or UPLINK to work between the old version and the new one.

I still don't understand how to structure the trunk between the old version and the new one...

Options
2023-09-21 12:45:19

@Mediaconverter 

The second screenshot shows 4 trunk ports. This indicates 4 trunks, not one. The PVID on each trunk port is 10. The first screenshot shows that all 4 trunk ports are members of all VLANs. To set up the same configuration using the “new GUI” you need to go to each VLAN one by one and mark all 4 trunk ports as tagged (T) in them. The VLAN 10 may be an exception since the port PVID is 10. You may need to mark the trunk ports in it as untagged (U). I can’t tell since your screenshots do not provide that information. And, don’t forget to set the PVID to 10 on those trunk ports. Good luck!

Kris K
Options
2023-09-25 01:36:39 - last edited 2023-10-31 09:17:58

@Mediaconverter 

Mediaconverter wrote

@Tedd404 

Many thanks

would be much easier if you could look it up on the internet. the key is that trunk is a term. new version does not show that but it does not mean there isn't trunk anymore. 

this lvlan. would be helpful 

networkacademy(dot)io/ccna/ethernet/vlan-trunking

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 483

Replies: 6

Related Articles