DHCP Relay without a Switch

2023-09-27 05:10:53 - last edited 2023-09-28 01:10:48

I'm trying to setup my SDN to match the settings I have locally on my ER605. On the ER605 I can configure the LAN network to use a DHCP relay to point to my local DHCP server. On the SDN there's an option to enable the DHCP L2 Relay but that seems to be related to a switch. There's also the Legal DHCP Server option which seems like it might be what I need but it's very unclear.

How do I configure the DHCP Relay in the SDN to match what I've configured locally?

If it makes a difference I'm runninng Omada Cloud via Docker and it's using version 5.12.7

Options
3 Reply
Re:DHCP Relay without a Switch
2023-09-28 02:13:07

@Amura 

Are your DHCP server and clients in the same VLAN or different? DHCP L2 relay can only be applied when DHCP server and clients are in the same VLAN.

"SY" is a 22-year old boy presenting to the tp-link community with brain empty. Take care of yourself, and be well. Loycechan030
Options
2023-12-15 17:49:41

@Amura I've been looking for the same thing.  Since I have a couple of omada switches, I was able to create a vlan interface and set the dhcp relay address as a work around.  This seems like a missing omada feature.  The Legal DHCP Server option isn't a relay function, I think it is supposed to drop dhcp offer packets from dhcp servers that aren't specified (otherwise I'm not sure what the purpose of this option is).  The L2 DHCP Relay option also doesn't seem to do anything. 

While I could have just used the DHCP server built in to the router, I run my own DNS server with internal domain names, and the router doesn't offer the kind of DHCP/DNS intergration I was looking for, so I am running my own DHCP server for all my vlans/subnets that require DHCP (hence the need for DHCP relay support)

I'm running Omada Controller 5.12.9.  

Options
2023-12-15 18:58:27

@cnoyes1972 It does seem like a missing feature. I ended up giving up and running my own DHCP server and it seems to work fine with that. It's annoying but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The DHCP/DNS server has more feature than we'll likely ever see in TPLink products

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 324

Replies: 3

Related Articles