Advice where here to install AP with false ceiling and glass wool

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-17 17:44:31 - last edited 2023-10-19 01:03:42
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.2

Hello,

For a new location, I'm wondering where I should best install my AP.

The building has corridors, each equiped with a false ceiling (ceiling titles are 50x50cm with suspension rails).

On the upper side of ceiling titles, are located long bands of glass wool for thermic isolation.

The ceiling is made of concrete.

I don't know yet if glass bands are simply laid flat on ceiling titles upper side or fixed on ceiling, which may leave an empty space bellow or above the glass wooln (I'll check soon what is current setup).

Each AP has to serve a 12mx12m area and up to 5 wifi devices (smartphones, PC, mostly).

I can think of 3 installation alternatives:

1. fixed bellow ceiling tiles

2. laid above ceiling tiles but bellow glass wool

3. fixed on ceiling (above both ceiling titles and glass wool)

Solutions 2 or 3 have the advantage of keeping AP out of sight (which is appreciated when you can't protect AP with 802.1x).

Shall I expect measurable differences between those solutions ? Which one would you pick and why ?

Bets regards

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Advice where here to install AP with false ceiling and glass wool-Solution
2023-10-18 02:49:39 - last edited 2023-10-19 01:03:42

Hi,@Oliv2831 

Option1:Below Ceiling Tiles

This way would provide the strongest signal strength and ease of maintenance. However, if you have concerns about aesthetics, this might be not the best choice.

Option2: Above Ceiling Tiles but Below Glass wool

This can get a balance between the outlook and performance. The attenuation caused by the glass wool and ceiling tiles is expected to be minimal, especially for a 12M*12M area with just 5 devices. This option seems to be the most suitable one considering all the factors.

Option3:Above both Ceiling Tiles and Glass Wool

This way is the least recommended. Concrete is notorious for its ability to cause attenuation of Wi-Fi signals. Placing the AP above the concrete ceiling could result in a much weaker signal in the intended coverage area.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Advice where here to install AP with false ceiling and glass wool-Solution
2023-10-18 02:49:39 - last edited 2023-10-19 01:03:42

Hi,@Oliv2831 

Option1:Below Ceiling Tiles

This way would provide the strongest signal strength and ease of maintenance. However, if you have concerns about aesthetics, this might be not the best choice.

Option2: Above Ceiling Tiles but Below Glass wool

This can get a balance between the outlook and performance. The attenuation caused by the glass wool and ceiling tiles is expected to be minimal, especially for a 12M*12M area with just 5 devices. This option seems to be the most suitable one considering all the factors.

Option3:Above both Ceiling Tiles and Glass Wool

This way is the least recommended. Concrete is notorious for its ability to cause attenuation of Wi-Fi signals. Placing the AP above the concrete ceiling could result in a much weaker signal in the intended coverage area.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Advice where here to install AP with false ceiling and glass wool
2023-11-17 16:11:56

I installed a couple of EAP245 on a single floor (target solution covers 4 floors).

I configured each with Medium TX power in 2.4GHz band and High TX power in 5GHz band.

I installed each AP just above ceiling tiles with glass wool lying above.

Average distance between AP and room center is about 7m, with a drywall in between.

In each room (without all furnitures), I had a signal in 5Ghz band between -65bB and -70dB.

I think :

Medium TX power in 2.4GHz band means 17dB

High TX power in 5GHz band means 23dB

Is this correct ?

I didn't take time to really measure in 2.4Ghz band as my target is to have all guest using 5Ghz but from quick glance, I think signal in 2.4 GHz was always 15 or more dB above.

I a couple a days, I'll have the opportunity to test anew with all AP installed (and hopefully all furnitures).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 342

Replies: 2

Related Articles