Upgrade advice - EAP245 to EAP610

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-18 19:18:13

I've had great success and satisfaction running 3x 245, 1x 225 from the AC200 controller 

I was wondering if it's possible to swap out 1 245 with a 610. Does the controller handle the 610? 

Is there anything else I should be aware of? I hope I can ceiling mount it in the same place where the cable is. I don't think I have any 3x3 clients so don't think I'd loose out there.

My goal is to provide wifi6 access to some devices that support it. I don't actually know how much gain in speed I will get. I already have excellent channel separation and great disruption of clients so I often see >500Mbps for clients. 

Is wifi6 coverage better? 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Upgrade advice - EAP245 to EAP610
2023-10-19 02:54:56

Hi @bp1000 
If you're considering swapping out an EAP245 for an EAP610 to take advantage of Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), there are a few things you should be aware of:

The OC200 controller is designed to be compatible with all Omada EAPs. However, always check the firmware version of the OC200. You'd better check whether you're running the latest firmware, as newer devices like the EAP610 might require updated controller software to be fully supported.

Besides,The EAP610 and EAP245 might have slightly different physical dimensions or mounting mechanisms. While it's likely you can use the existing cable placement, be prepared for possible adjustments to the mounting mechanism.

You mentioned not having 3x3 MIMO clients, which the EAP245 supports. The EAP610, being a WiFi 6 device, will offer other advantages like OFDMA and BSS Coloring, which can improve performance in congested environments. If your devices support these features, you could see benefits beyond just raw speed.

Beyond just speed, WiFi 6 introduces improvements in efficiency, especially in crowded environments. This means better performance when multiple devices are connected.

You mentioned already achieving speeds of >500Mbps for clients. While Wi-Fi 6 can offer speeds beyond this, remember that real-world benefits will depend on your internet connection, the type of tasks you're doing, and the devices you're using.

About Coverage:
Wi-Fi 6 does not necessarily guarantee better coverage. Coverage is more about the power, antenna design, and placement of the access point. However, Wi-Fi 6 is designed to provide better performance at the edge of the coverage area, so devices further from the AP might see more stable connections and faster speeds.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 207

Replies: 1

Related Articles