Hardisk storage size support in 2024 (+10TB)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-24 11:07:41 - last edited 2023-10-24 11:55:52
Model: VIGI NVR1008H  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6

Hi everyone,

I have been using this NVR for quite a time by now, and as many other TPLink products that I use is a good deal for the dollar, but it turns out thay in my specific use case scenario (7 2k cameras + 1 4k camera) my 10TB disk was giving no more than 40 days.

Over the past 2 weeks, I tried just for fun a 16TB Seagate and a 20TB WD disk, and despite being well beyond the maximum capacity supported, they were recognized, formatted in correct size, and recorded without any initial malfunction. What I have found is after about a week of recordings (2tb approx) it keep recording the stream (space available keeps dowing) but the NVR is not able to read recordings past that point - or maybe even save them properly. You can see the rec's on the seeking bar, but if you try to play that stream you get "No recordings founds". Older recordings before that mark will play just fine.

I know this capacity is not supported, but I was just wondering why since 10TB is already a big number, and all three HDDs are CMR. Maybe @Clive_A have a beta firmware you want us to try =D or maybe theres some workaround, like trying to connect the hard disk to an USB case and use it as external -- which I have not tried yet.

Any comment, idea or tip from the community is appreciated.

TY in advance.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Hardisk storage size support in 2024 (+10TB)
2023-10-25 02:04:59 - last edited 2023-10-25 02:07:25

Hi @celdae123 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

How to choose a suitable HDD for VIGI NVR
I am not able to provide any suggestions if your HDD is over 10T. We have this mentioned in this FAQ.

About the firmware, no. We don't have any plans or firmware in the roadmap to support large-size HDDs. This still needs further discussion and market feedback.

About your 10T HDD, I am not sure about your question. Description is not clear enough. Are you saying that the videos stored on your 10T can only be saved for around 40 days?

Please describe your first issue clearly. So I may be of help.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-10-25 02:18:18 - last edited 2023-10-25 02:22:58

@Clive_A 

The 10TB drive work just fine but 40 days of recording for 2k is a no go for me. As a tech lover as your signature says, I was hopping some insights about future fimrware support for bigger drives. We are almost at 2024, I would like to keep the tplink nvr but this limitation is a blocker. I also asked you about the usb port for external drives, maybe that works on +10? The documentation is pretty lame tbh.

Thanks!

Options
2023-10-25 02:44:19

Hi @celdae123 

Then if you are using 7 x 2k and 1 x 4k, then this 1008H cannot support that. So 8 cameras are lowered to 1080P, is that right?

I am a tech lover but I am not working in the dev team. I consulted one of the senior engineers who works closely with the dev. He said no support for more than 10T in the roadmap which means in a short period of time it cannot be done.

If you need that large size, you probably consider a more advanced model or seek other solutions.

Models for 2 or 4 SATA

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-10-25 03:09:00 - last edited 2023-10-25 03:13:58

@Clive_A 

Well, as I said the documentation is not the best, the product looks kind of.. beta stage. A lot of things on this product don't work as stated, that should not be a surprise. But is also this perception of work in progress which gave me hope to ask in the forum before buy to a different brand.

FYI, despite whatever documentation says.. cameras are not lowered,  they work at full resolution and even at a quite high bitrate (around 4096 Kb/s), Im also using h265+. This is not a consumption issue, 2TB for this configuration is usual and math also matches 40 days for 10TB.

My notes were 16 and 20TB disks are recognized, formatted and used, they just stop working on new data after the 2 TB mark.

I was expecting to have a constructive talk about why is there a 10TB limit,  maybe is a propietary partition system, maybe they have fixed platters arrangements, maybe you can overcome things with a twek here and there. I do understand now they are not open to give any additional info to the enthusiat techies as TPLink used to be, just a corporate answer of you better find something else. :(

I would like to thank you anyway for at least gave it a try asking them! 

Options
2023-10-25 04:00:27

Hi @celdae123 

I asked why it is limited to 10T, but there has been no reply from them so far. But we do have products that support multiple SATAs.

I compared the VIGI with other brands and I found the entry-level 8 or 16 channels are usually built for 10T x 1 SATA. When it comes to 16 channels, or 32, that'll give 2 or 4 SATA channels.

So, my guess is that this is enough for common users. In your situation, you should consider other models with more SATA capability. And this is what the market does. You can search 8-channel(entry-level) NVR for any brands and compare their max storage supported. So, the project dev followed suit and built it in that way. (This is the most basic procedure. I think I will do market research and find out what's the common practice. Blindly adding up the hardware compatibility will increase the cost and the price will go high. Not everyone would pay for a high-end product. e.g. I am fine with a 14900K Intel CPU while most people will take a 14600 or 14700 CPU, that's already enough for gaming and some light-task. And performance is pretty much the same.)

Options
2023-10-25 04:47:44 - last edited 2023-10-25 04:52:59

@Clive_A 

I do understand your point but I bet this is a software thing, not some missing fancy chip that would skyrocket the device price. Not sharing information about how this works is what fuel my conclusion wrote on the previus post. I dont need 16 cameras nor be forced to buy not one but two hard drives.

PS: Dahua NVR entry level support network shares without restrictions related to size. Adding a USB disk does the same as they support NTFS. The 10TB disk from the tplink device is not even recognized as known partition system when connected to the computer. I encourage everyone to make his own conclusion.

Options
2023-10-27 09:44:41

Hi @celdae123

Thanks for your valuable feedback and post here. This request has been forwarded to the developer team for further evaluation.

As far as I know, the roadmap now does not consider adding support for more storage.

You can subscribe to the firmware release thread which is pinned on the related page. Or pay attention to our official website where most releases will show up there very soon.

As a reminder, any request will be evaluated by our developer team before it is officially added to the roadmap. That may take some time before you see a release with this feature. If your requested feature is not on high priority or not reported by many people, it may be delayed for more feedback.

Options
2023-10-27 10:58:54

@Clive_A 

Thank you C!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 355

Replies: 8

Related Articles