Possible to setup a Omada SDN Controller remotely?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-27 20:32:48
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I'm wondering if it's possible to setup or provision Omada SDN and router/devices remotely?

One time I mistakenly adopted a router with a newly setup Omada SDN, since it changed the IP address to the default one I lost connection. I also had to find  away to connect to the controller which was on a different subnet.

Can I setup the Internet WAN first and then configure everything else remotely? Or can I setup offsite, bring it on site and the router and controller won't start from default?

Basically if anybody has any experience.

In the past I could get a router online, then connect remotely via VPN or some remote desktop and configure everything else rather than being on location.

Just wondering if anybody has had any experience.

Really dislike how it starts everything from scratch once being adopted,

or wondering if there's a way to transfer a router and controller already setup on a different network without too many things messing up.

Would really like to hear peoples experience here.

Also will a new device show up on a controller (Hardware or software) or do I need to go into the device first and point the inform IP to the controller?

Thank you.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Possible to setup a Omada SDN Controller remotely?
2023-10-28 11:31:21

@FlameOtter 

You can remotely host your own controller and add "sites" to it per client site.  

I have a linux hosted controller and remotely adopt devices to it from different location.  

You will need to have a public IP address linked to the hosted server, port forward the omada ports to it. 

You can enter the Public IP to the adoption section of the Omada during the initial setup.  Then configure DHCP Option 138 within the configs to the public IP address also.  When you plug a device into the network, it will auto push to the remotely hosted controller.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-10-28 11:37:54

@KimcheeGUN 

Hmmm thanks. I wonder. I've done this with a Unifi unit. Great for managing remotely. 

However if the internet is down and I am on site, I won't be able to manage the unit. Is that the same with the Omada system?

I'm guessing so since it doesn't work with Omada SDN and local management.

Thank you for your answer. I can test it out some too. I appreciate your experience.

I'm debating wether to install a local controller per site and then link using my tplink ID Or using a single remote or cloud hosted controller and then combining the two.

I wonder if having two routers on a single controller would be an issue, or perhaps creating another site would solve that issue.

I'm processing things through my head as I go.

Thank you for giving me the space to do that.

Options
2023-10-28 11:41:25

@FlameOtter 

If it's not working locally, something is wrong with your configs/setup.  I have multiple OC appliances launched with no issues.  Also have self hosted controller on site also, with no issues.  

Usually if it BORKS, it due to my own bad configs.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-10-28 12:24:50

@KimcheeGUN 

It's not that. It's if I want to make changes to the device while the internet is down. At least with a  locally installed controller which connects to the cloud I have the option of making changes to a local IP address.

I have that option with the cloud, but if the internet link is down the changes won't get pushed until it connects again.

Hope that makes sense. I guess it's another method to know if the internet is up or down for a specific location.

Thanks.

Options