Votes

Make it possible to configure a port only with tagged VLANs and without a native one

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

Make it possible to configure a port only with tagged VLANs and without a native one

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-09 19:14:21 - last edited 2023-11-09 19:20:48
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

For ports between Switches and other Omada network equipment it seems to be necessary to have a native VLAN defined.
Obviously it is used for management (if not configured differently) and also for internal communication.

But for any other port it is not necessary to have a native VLAN. In some cases it is even unwanted or unsave.

For example: 

1. Using a NAS device which is able to handle tagged VLAN:
    I have 2 VLAN configured on the connected port, but also need to configure a native VLAN which is mostly VLAN 1 (management).
    Now if someone uses the port of this NAS device he will automatically end up in management VLAN. This is unwanted and unsafe. You could set another native VLAN here, of course, but this would be a very ugly configuration. In addition its still not necessary to have an untagged configuration here.
  2. I'm using a management PC on a port which has all important VLANs configured as tagged VLANs. Again, I need to add a native VLAN, which I don't want to.
    Now in the most network drivers I have the possibility to configure tagged VLAN sub interfaces for my ethernet adapter. But then it is not possible anymore to send out untagged frames, but only the tagged ones. In this case I will not be able to connect to the native VLAN anymore. Which is... just annoying.
  3. Seperating traffic physically on two links between a router and a switch:
    Sometimes I want to have traffic seperated on a physically link. Im my case I would like to connect the router with two cables to the same switch. On the first cable are all VLANs including the native one. On the second link I want to have one tagged VLAN only, so I can be sure that only defined traffic is running here. I could monitor, intercept, cut down, etc. this link without any disturbance of the other traffic. In addition this scenario is only possible without native config on these ports, because otherwise you would create a switching loop.

So please make it possible to configure a port with tagged VLANs only. without any native config.
If a native VLAN is needed for network or Omada equipment, just force the config here.

Thank you and best wishes
Sebastian

Options
1 Reply
Re:Make it possible to configure a port only with tagged VLANs and without a native one
2023-11-10 06:14:51

Hello @SebastianH,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I've recorded this request and will report it to the developer team for evaluation.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 213

Replies: 1

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.