IP configuration

IP configuration

IP configuration
IP configuration
2023-11-13 09:05:59
Model: TL-SL1218P   EAP610  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have an unmanaged TP-Link SL1218P switch and two TP-LINK access points - EAP610 connected to this switch. I don't have a router on this network. The network includes both Wi-Fi clients connecting to access points and wired clients connected - directly to the switch. I want to have a static IP for wired client nr 5 (marked red).

1. What can I do to manage the assignment of IP addresses throughout the network without conflicts?

2. Would TP-Link Omada OC200 controller help here?

3. Or maybe I should buy some kind of wired router - for example ER605 (TL-R605) and put it before the switch?

Options
4 Reply
Re:IP configuration
2023-11-14 01:55:14

Hi @Ryba 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

1. It has nothing to do with the Omada devices. So, you should contact the ISP about this since your diagram shows that your ISP controls the DHCP-related stuff.

Or, configure on the clients manually with the IP addresses.

Omada in this situation has nothing to do with any of the DHCP or static IP. because the switch is unmanaged switch. Plug and play. The EAP is a layer 2 device as well. Nothing to do with the IP you talked about.

2. No. You don't have an Omada router. Functions in the controller that relate to the router do not work.

3. Correct.

But the Static IP is gonna be manually assigned. Or you use DHCP instead. There is no way to give static IPs to dynamic clients.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-14 10:47:26

@Clive_A Thank you for your reply! I am not a very technical person and prefer to ask a few more questions just to be sure.

1. By static IP I meant internal IP reservation based on MAC address only. I used temporarily an old Netgear router for this installation and it was very easy to make one client have a static IP - I set it up on the router. Now I switched the hardware setup to the one described in the post and I am wondering which device is responsible for assigning internal IP addresses.

2. Ok, I understand now.

3. This 'client 5' is a laptop connected by the wire and acting as a Home Assitant local server. I would like to have the same setup as before - have an internal IP reservation for this laptop. Will router ER605 make it possible to have an internal IP reservation based on client's MAC address?

Options
2023-11-16 05:50:50

Hi @Ryba 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Ryba wrote

@Clive_A Thank you for your reply! I am not a very technical person and prefer to ask a few more questions just to be sure.

1. By static IP I meant internal IP reservation based on MAC address only. I used temporarily an old Netgear router for this installation and it was very easy to make one client have a static IP - I set it up on the router. Now I switched the hardware setup to the one described in the post and I am wondering which device is responsible for assigning internal IP addresses.

2. Ok, I understand now.

3. This 'client 5' is a laptop connected by the wire and acting as a Home Assitant local server. I would like to have the same setup as before - have an internal IP reservation for this laptop. Will router ER605 make it possible to have an internal IP reservation based on client's MAC address?

Any routers, regardless of their type, business, or home, support this basic feature of setting a DHCP reservation. Or you can set a static IP address to enable it.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-12-04 12:29:45

@Ryba 

1. To manage IP addresses without conflicts, you can consider setting up a DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server. This would allow you to assign static IPs to specific devices, like your wired client number 5.

2. The TP-Link Omada OC200 controller could indeed be a solution. It provides centralized management for your access points, making it easier to handle IP assignments and network configurations.

3. Another option is to introduce a wired router like the ER605 (TL-R605) before the switch. This can give you more control over IP assignments and enhance network management capabilities.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 272

Replies: 4

Related Articles