How to use JetStream switches in a distributed environment

2023-11-24 14:09:01 - last edited 2023-12-01 02:38:38
Model: SG2210P  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello

I want to use the JetStream 10P TL-SG2210P switch on some remote physical locations. There is no other infrastructure at these locations other than an industrial 4G/LTE modem-router. I want to use Omada to manage this switch directly from the Omada cloud. But it seems to me that this only works if I have a TP Link router (Software or hardware based) at the site.

Is this possible?

If it is. Any reference to how.

If not - are there any other ways - other switches or management software where I could get what I want?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:How to use JetStream switches in a distributed environment-Solution
2023-11-27 02:20:16 - last edited 2023-12-01 02:38:38

Hi @Joachimstray 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Consider the CBC then. All you need is to get the Internet on this Omada switch. It'll be zero-touching. Just send it over to the site.

Omada Cloud-Based Controller

Devices Supported by Omada Cloud-Based Controller

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-29 18:42:48 - last edited 2023-12-01 02:38:40

@Joachimstray 

Yes, it's possible and with any router, but you'll need something to bridge the L2 between sites. I manage a few dozen sites distributed across multiple states from a single controller via a WireGuard VPN. Just have to tunnel traffic from the management VLAN and needed traffic from the untagged otherwise unused setup network to the controller. Everything works absolutely beautifully, including using DHCP Option 138 for automatic discovery, I can plug in a switch or WAP 500 miles away and it pops right up in the controller for adoption. For routing I personally exclusively use OPNsense (which I used before Omada), which can then also take care of the bridging, but there's many other router options which would be fine, dedicated bridges etc.

No idea the capabilities of your current router/gateways, for LTE failover I've always used something external and separate. If they can handle the basic tunneling and services you may not need anything more, if they can't you'll probably need one more box but it can be nearly anything so your call on that. It can work well though.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
2023-11-27 02:20:16 - last edited 2023-12-01 02:38:38

Hi @Joachimstray 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Consider the CBC then. All you need is to get the Internet on this Omada switch. It'll be zero-touching. Just send it over to the site.

Omada Cloud-Based Controller

Devices Supported by Omada Cloud-Based Controller

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-29 18:42:48 - last edited 2023-12-01 02:38:40

@Joachimstray 

Yes, it's possible and with any router, but you'll need something to bridge the L2 between sites. I manage a few dozen sites distributed across multiple states from a single controller via a WireGuard VPN. Just have to tunnel traffic from the management VLAN and needed traffic from the untagged otherwise unused setup network to the controller. Everything works absolutely beautifully, including using DHCP Option 138 for automatic discovery, I can plug in a switch or WAP 500 miles away and it pops right up in the controller for adoption. For routing I personally exclusively use OPNsense (which I used before Omada), which can then also take care of the bridging, but there's many other router options which would be fine, dedicated bridges etc.

No idea the capabilities of your current router/gateways, for LTE failover I've always used something external and separate. If they can handle the basic tunneling and services you may not need anything more, if they can't you'll probably need one more box but it can be nearly anything so your call on that. It can work well though.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 234

Replies: 2

Related Articles