New home network set up - Opinion (OC200+EAP683 LR+SGP105PP-M2)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-30 12:28:33 - last edited 2023-12-01 02:45:07

Hello, 

Soon i will be moving into my new house and would like to set up a home network that is capable of 2 or 2,5 gbps throughput (cable), having 2 accesspoints sending the same network and it should be "semi-easy" manageable with cloud or app controller.  

First I was looking for Ubiquiti set up but I also came across some interesting TP link devices. 

Now I might have interest in the following set up:

- TP-Link TL-SG105PP-M2 5-Port 2.5G Desktop Switch with 4-Port PoE++

- TP-Link Omada SDN OC200

Hybrid Cloud Device Management Controller

- 1 or 2x TP-Link Omada SDN EAP683 LR

Now someone told me this Switch is not compatible with the Omada devices? But what does this exactly mean as the switch is unmanaged anyway? 

Because it aint compatible I cant see usage per port on the Switch?

Or because it aint compatible I cant control 1 or 2 accesspoints if they are connected when the Switch is being set up in the middle? 

Questions:

1) Could someone explain this to me?

2) Looking at set up above? Is this advicable or would you suggest me to swap certain products? If so which ones?

3) Regarding stability, speed and reach of network, are these accesspoints comparable with the U6 L6?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:New home network set up - Opinion (OC200+EAP683 LR+SGP105PP-M2)-Solution
2023-12-01 01:15:18 - last edited 2023-12-01 05:30:27

@Nvb2 

On your first question you already have an answer: "... what does this exactly mean as the switch is unmanaged anyway?  ", i.e. it means:

" Omada Managed and Smart switches integrate into the Omada system to allow you to effortlessly centrally manage via the web or Omada app. They also support a choice of management including CLI, Web GUI, and SNMP. The enterprise hardware and advanced software functions make Omada switches ideal for small and medium businesses, from the core to the edge. Comprehensive product options meet the versatile demands. "

The short answer is that you can use the switch you chose with the listed equipment without benefiting Omada features.

Here's more details on choosing an Omada switch.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:New home network set up - Opinion (OC200+EAP683 LR+SGP105PP-M2)-Solution
2023-12-01 01:15:18 - last edited 2023-12-01 05:30:27

@Nvb2 

On your first question you already have an answer: "... what does this exactly mean as the switch is unmanaged anyway?  ", i.e. it means:

" Omada Managed and Smart switches integrate into the Omada system to allow you to effortlessly centrally manage via the web or Omada app. They also support a choice of management including CLI, Web GUI, and SNMP. The enterprise hardware and advanced software functions make Omada switches ideal for small and medium businesses, from the core to the edge. Comprehensive product options meet the versatile demands. "

The short answer is that you can use the switch you chose with the listed equipment without benefiting Omada features.

Here's more details on choosing an Omada switch.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:New home network set up - Opinion (OC200+EAP683 LR+SGP105PP-M2)
2023-12-10 19:13:43

@terziyski 

Hey thanks for your response (and sorry for my late reply, got ill last week). 

I think I would like to go with the manageable features a controller brings, but got a few more questions now though.

Now my first question: By putting in the TP-Link Omada SDN OC200 in my home network im able to manage the TP-Link Omada SDN EAP683 LR device, right?
(It doesn't matter if an unmanaged switch is used in between? since its for my home network I don't feel the need of being able to manage a switch).

And my second question: IF i'd like to go for a managed switch from Omada, which model can you advice? I can't really find one that meet my requirements directly (maybe they are not existing yet for lower prices); see requirement list:

- 2.5GE per port 

- PoE++ for 4 ports+

- Managed switch

- Price (max around 200,00 for 5port --> for 8port+ price can obv increase a bit)

The only switch I could find that came close was: TL-SG3210XHP-M2. This one is manageable, but I would still need the SDN OC200 to control. 
Meaning it's 240,00 euro extra.. which is more than I was hoping for.

Options
Re:New home network set up - Opinion (OC200+EAP683 LR+SGP105PP-M2)
2023-12-11 11:09:35

@Nvb2 

That's correct. For only 1x or 2x EAP683 LR EAPs (home network), I would recommend to get your initial choice switch - TL-SGP105PP-M2.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 475

Replies: 3

Related Articles