OC200 not listing Sonos speaker clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-05 16:08:12
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.11.3 Build 20230906 Rel.36272

Controller status version says 5.12.9, not sure if that's important. But I'm adding it.

I have a problem where Sonos speakers seem to disconnect a lot when I have all our nodes (9) active at once in the house. If I only have 1 or 2 active, they seem to act and play fine. But I need all nodes active for full coverage, and I need to be able to lock them to specific APs.

Here the problem lies...

I cannot see the Sonos speakers on any client list at all within the controller UI. There are other wifi clients listed, but not the speakers. There are no other wifi networks around for them to be connected to, least not with the same SSID and password. I need them to be on the client list to lock AP used...

I'm a little clueless right now, as everything seems to be getting DHCP addresses from the router behind the controller (based on all clients being on correct subnet), but only SOME clients seem to get listed at the controller, even if all clients uses one of the AP nodes available. The rest seems to be listed in the router (device giving WAN to controller) client list instead.

I'm new to omada setups and could use some pointers of how to get ALL clients listed in the controller when they use a node connected to it.

Thanks and god bless.

Options
6 Reply
Re:OC200 not listing Sonos speaker clients
2023-12-05 20:53:52

@Jonny-Five-O 

Can you give us more details on your network?  Router, switch, APs are you using?

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-12-05 21:45:29

@KimcheeGUN 

KimcheeGUN wrote

@Jonny-Five-O 

Can you give us more details on your network?  Router, switch, APs are you using?

A few EAP650 and EAP610 AP/nodes.

Some cabled, others wirelessly meshed.

Last router I tried was a 4G LTE Router. Music plays fine with only 2 nodes active, but I need all nodes active. So I suspect I need to Lock-to-AP.

The Sonos speakers (about 5) are mainly wifi connected, except 2. I expected the wifi ones to show up in controller due to AP connectivity.

All are only visible in the router client list, none in the controller. I need them visible in the controller to try lock to specific AP/node.

Switch is a non-managed Zyxel. Do I perhaps need an Omada SDN compatible switch for the OC200 to be able to see even AP wifi clients? That doesn't make sense to me if so, as all the nodes/AP devices are connected to the OC200, so I reason I should be able to see those clients regardless of switch behind the controller. Even if some AP are cabled to the switch, they are still showing up as connected in the OC200.

Thank you for taking a look at my situation.

Options
2023-12-06 09:16:20

Starting to wonder if maybe I understood all this wrong.

That the OC200 controller I have, is just a part of an eco system where I should perhaps have Omada router/gateway as well behind it which can talk to the controller and then finally show all DHCP clients. As now, the controller just seems by default to pass through DHCP requests to any router behind it. Still odd to me why I can see SOME clients but not others.

Options
2023-12-06 18:11:15

@Jonny-Five-O 

Sonos is very very cumbersome against networks... they run on Multicasting Streams.

I would suggest getting a Omada router that runs mDNS.  If you get a ER605, buy the V2 (not the V1).  

Buying a manageable switch, so you can adjust the settings on it to help with the MultiCasting and Sonos stuff.  

Options
2023-12-06 18:26:09

@KimcheeGUN 

Thanks. We have ordered an ER605 V2. If it doesn't solve the clients showing up, I'll add some more nodes to try boost the overall signal. Some are as low as -85 so it could really use a boost anyways. I figured if I find an IGMP snooping setting in the router, I won't necessarily need a managed switch to handle the multicast noise. I'll see how it goes with the router first.

Thanks for the help so far.

Options
2023-12-07 13:46:17

@Jonny-Five-O 

-85 is horrible signal... I would make sure your wireless clients are sitting around -50 to -65.  Sonos have very weak wireless cards... so -60's would be best for it.  

Options