EAP245: Differences between standalone devices and 5-units pack devices

2023-12-06 13:37:08 - last edited 2023-12-07 03:48:46
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.7

Hello,

Lately I bought a couple 5-units EAP245 packs and some standalone EAP245 units.

1. While I expected a PoE injector to be missing in the 5-units pack, I was very surprised to observe unadvertised differences between the two types of AP:

- standalone units have hardware version 4 and support 1.2.1 firmware

- pack units have hardware version 5 and support 5.0.7 firmware

Is it expected ?

2. Looking at a 5-units pack device through a 5.12.9 controller, how can I enable ETH2 PoE ? With standalone units, you can use Config/Advanced panel to enable ETH2 PoE but this entry is missing for 5-units pack devices.

Cheers

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP245: Differences between standalone devices and 5-units pack devices-Solution
2023-12-07 03:48:41 - last edited 2023-12-07 03:48:46

Hello @Oliv2831

Oliv2831 wrote

1. While I expected a PoE injector to be missing in the 5-units pack, I was very surprised to observe unadvertised differences between the two types of AP:

Is it expected ?

Please check the Specifications of 5-units pack, there is no POE injector contains in the package.

As for the difference of the hardware and firmware version, it depends on local sales strategies and local retailers.

Oliv2831 wrote

2. Looking at a 5-units pack device through a 5.12.9 controller, how can I enable ETH2 PoE ? With standalone units, you can use Config/Advanced panel to enable ETH2 PoE but this entry is missing for 5-units pack devices.

On the controller, click on the radio in the device list within the Omada controller, go to Config > Advance > and its below.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:EAP245: Differences between standalone devices and 5-units pack devices-Solution
2023-12-07 03:48:41 - last edited 2023-12-07 03:48:46

Hello @Oliv2831

Oliv2831 wrote

Is it expected ?

Please check the Specifications of 5-units pack, there is no POE injector contains in the package.

As for the difference of the hardware and firmware version, it depends on local sales strategies and local retailers.

Oliv2831 wrote

On the controller, click on the radio in the device list within the Omada controller, go to Config > Advance > and its below.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:EAP245: Differences between standalone devices and 5-units pack devices
2023-12-07 07:22:11

@Hank21 

Thanks for this detailed and valuable reply.

One thing I noticed after further digging into this issue, is that on EAPv3 hardware, second Eth port is simply labeled "ETH2" while it is labeled "ETH2 (PoE OUT)" on v4 hardware.

So it seems these hardware have different capabilities.

I can stress these differences were unadvertised.

I'll ask my distributor to advertise it.

I would strongly encourage practise to use a different product name when an hardware capability (PoE output on second Ethernet port) changes.

Options
Re:EAP245: Differences between standalone devices and 5-units pack devices
2023-12-08 02:48:31

Hi @Oliv2831,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I've recorded this request and will report it to the developer team for evaluation.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 168

Replies: 3

Related Articles