Please help me select hardware

2023-12-07 18:10:53 - last edited 2023-12-07 18:12:49

I asked this on the Home community and was told that I was asking in the wrong community, so...

Here's my situation.

My Verizon CR1000 router has hit a soft limit on the number of connections, so I am looking to replace it.  I have 110 devices, 76 are 2.4GHz WiFi, 2 are 5GHz and the rest are Ethernet.  It appears through experimentation that when I try to connect more than 65 devices, they just won't connect.

I am leaning toward the TP Link Omada ER7206 router and a couple of TP Link EAP-650 Access Points.  Would this combination be sufficient for my network, or would another selection be better?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Please help me select hardware
2023-12-08 02:08:06

Hi @SteveMann 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

So, usually, the wireless capacity for a single wireless product would be around 30-60. If it reaches more, you might check the wireless load balancing settings to set for higher capacity before it load balance between 2.4G and 5GHz.

I guess you have many IoT stuff? That might be a good idea to use the setup you are leaning toward.
ER7206 is capable of around 100 or 200 devices(non-IoT). So I think it might be a wise choice. But if you want to be future-proof or need a more powerful one. You might consider ER8411.

You can try out ER7206 first. It should suffice if you have many IoT stuff. IoT actually is not a heavy-traffic device. So, it does not affect much on your network.

EAP, you might consider getting some units. Regular version without HD carries less. HD version would be a high-density version for commercials.

Regular one carries as many as the regular routers. Single band would take 30-60. Dual 60-120.. So you might need several of them to balance the wireless connections.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-01-29 07:23:18

@SteveMann 

Where you learn this : TP Link Omada ER7206 router ?

Regards Chitra Mishra
Options
2024-01-29 16:51:58

@chitra150 
Where did I learn what?
By the way, there is an error in my original post. I called my IOT things "devices", but I learned later that I should have said "clients".

Here is my device list:

ER7206 Router
EAP-610 Access Point (2)
EAP-615-Wall Access Point (2)
TL-SG1210P 8 Port Gigabit PoE Switch,
TL-SG1005P 5 Port Gigabit PoE Switch
TL-POE10R PoE Splitter

I am quite happy with my LAN using Omada.

For the controller, I have a Raspberry Pi4 in my server room that is running the software controller.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 307

Replies: 3

Related Articles