Roaming breaks VLAN assignment

2023-12-20 07:15:36 - last edited 2023-12-21 09:10:46
Model: EAP653  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.90 Build 20231012 Rel. 31553

I have two EAP653s configured to serve a WPA2 Enterprise / AES SSID with dynamic VLAN assignment via RADIUS. I have also enabled 802.11r for the network (see below)

I have no other Omada hardware in my network (switches are TL-SG108E and TL-SG108PE, gateway is OPNSense), but I configured the VLANs in the Omada controller as below. Setting the other networks as interfaces instead of VLANs changes nothing.

Things work until a client roams between access points, at which point it loses the VLAN assignment: connectivity breaks and the client gets an IP from the native (untagged) VLAN.

I am running the beta firmware v1_1.0.90 as recommended here because otherwise the APs keep freezing after minutes of being adopted and provisioned. Why is this happening?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Roaming breaks VLAN assignment-Solution
2023-12-21 09:10:40 - last edited 2023-12-21 09:10:46

Hi @Ozymandias,

Thanks for reporting this issue to TP-Link community!

The support engineer has located the issue, and it will also be optimized in subsequent official versions of the Controller. Currently, you may disable the 802.11r and the dynamic VLAN will work properly.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Roaming breaks VLAN assignment-Solution
2023-12-21 09:10:40 - last edited 2023-12-21 09:10:46

Hi @Ozymandias,

Thanks for reporting this issue to TP-Link community!

The support engineer has located the issue, and it will also be optimized in subsequent official versions of the Controller. Currently, you may disable the 802.11r and the dynamic VLAN will work properly.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Roaming breaks VLAN assignment
2023-12-21 09:23:47

@Hank21 I actually returned the access points today - not touching Omada anything again.

No disrespect, but between the memory leak in the latest "stable" firmware and this VLAN issue, I don't know how TP-Link can consider these things production ready.

I'm going back to my OpenWRT flashed routers for my access points, which - while not perfect - have been far more reliable and cost less than 1/3 of the EAPs.

And they don't require a controller, to boot.

Options
2024-02-13 20:45:36

I have the same issue - full stack Omada (APs, router, switch, HW controller).
I'm experiencing this with the built-in Radius server as well.

Options
2024-03-19 10:55:52

@Hank21 

Hi,

I also have the same issue. I only have one AP, but upon switch from one frequency band to another frequency band, some clients lose connectivity and get a native lan ip upon reconnecting. Not ideal on a security standpoint.

Controller : Software ver 5.13.30.8

Wifi AP : EAP653(EU) V1.0 Firmware 1.0.12 Build20240131 Rel. 45061

Wlan : 2.4GHz/5GHz, WPA3 enterprise with built-in radius, vlan determined on a client basis.

No 802.11r option activated

Am available to provide more data/screenshot as required.

Options
2024-03-20 06:12:51

@Yttra 

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID240338920, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Options