How to get correct DHCP / Network - Devices with fixed IP connecting to LAN management network

How to get correct DHCP / Network - Devices with fixed IP connecting to LAN management network

2024-01-24 05:48:02
Tags: #Logs
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.11.3 Build 20230906 Rel.36272

How do I stop clients connecting to the LAN Management (Core) network?

Example:-

HP Printer has a DHCP reservation on "Managers" LAN (set using the OC200 controller). 

Printer is physically connected to a switch (not managed) that is connected to the WAN router and OC200 controller.

The first time it connects, it gets an IP address from the core network (192.168.114.xxx)

Same printer with same DHCP reservation is moved to connect to a managed switch on a port that has a "Managers" network profile.

This time is connects correctly with the IP address from the Managers network (192.168.116.xxx).

Similarly:-

The "Cam" clients, the NVR, and the clients with no name are not physically connected to the "Switch Rear".  And they should not ne using IP addresses of the Core network.

The HP printer is not physically connected to the Wan Router.

Options
5 Reply
Re:How to get correct DHCP / Network - Devices with fixed IP connecting to LAN management network
2024-01-24 07:25:34 - last edited 2024-01-24 07:26:10

@ChrisDV the DHCP reservation does not force a specific IP if the device can connect to multiple networks. Assigning port profiles is the key here. Make sure every device is connected to a managed switch port where the correct port profile is configured. The DHCP reservation is then honored within the configured range of network segments.

To my understanding, a non-managed switch is transparent and therefore all devices behind it are virtually connected to the same upstream port which has a specific port configuration on its own, therefore the DHCP assignment will again follow the upstream port configuration.

1* OC200 v1.0 1* TL-R605 v1.0 1* TL-SG2428P v1.0 3* EAP245(EU) v3.0 1* EAP225-Outdoor (EU) v3.0
Options
Re:How to get correct DHCP / Network - Devices with fixed IP connecting to LAN management network
2024-01-24 07:35:01

@MvdB Thanks.  That seems disappointing, if not illogical.  The "fixed IP" option specifies a network assignment. What is the function of that parameter?

Options
2024-01-24 07:48:49

@ChrisDV I know, it got me confused as well. But in the end you want to manage your switch ports anyway (not allow access to mgmt LAN for non authorized devices) so you only have to ensure DHCP pool and port configuration are in line.

1* OC200 v1.0 1* TL-R605 v1.0 1* TL-SG2428P v1.0 3* EAP245(EU) v3.0 1* EAP225-Outdoor (EU) v3.0
Options
2024-01-25 07:08:43

@MvdB So here's the problem:  If a device is connected to a dumb switch (e.g. an un-managed 5 port POE switch) and the dumb switch is then connected to the managed switch for which the port profile is "All" then the device will connect to whatever DHCP source it can find, and most likely get the wrong IP address.  The managed port for the dumb switch must be set for the profile needed for the device.

I'm guessing that the profiles can be set to fix this problem, but I have not investigated that yet.    

Options
2024-01-25 07:45:43

@ChrisDV exactly. On the upstream switch or router, create (or select, if already existing) a profile that only contains the VLAN in which you have created the DHCP reservation for the device behind the unmanaged switch. That will work. Note that other devices connecting to the same unmanaged switch will automatically receive an IP from the same DHCP pool.

Adding two VLAN ranges to the upstream switch port profile will not work for sure, as the switch will choose any IP from all VLAN DHCP pools possible. I had the same situation and noticed that the lowest VLAN pool was used here (handing out IPs to non-secure devices in my network management VLAN...) but that may have been a coincidence. 

Options