[Bug] Policy Routing (5.13.23)

2024-01-27 18:02:13 - last edited 2024-02-01 07:02:30
Tags: #Policy Routing
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.13.23

Hello,

I'm encountering a potential issue with the Omada Software Controller (version 5.13.23)

and the ER605 V2.0 router (firmware version 2.2.3 Build 20231201 Rel.32918) in a dual WAN setup.

I would appreciate any insights or solutions from the community.

Background:

I have two WAN connections. My objective is to configure my desktop computer to use the backup WAN (WAN/LAN1)

for HTTP and HTTPS traffic due to random timeouts experienced while browsing and building Docker images.

These timeouts are not noticeable during streaming or other activities.

I suspect an issue with my primary ISP, as these timeouts do not occur with a different ISP.

Current Configuration:

• Load Balancing Settings:

• Application Optimized Routing: Enabled
    • Link Backup: Enabled
    • Primary WAN: WAN
    • Backup WAN: WAN/LAN1
    • Backup Mode: Always Link Primary
    • Mode: Enable backup link when all primary WANs fail

• Policy Routing Settings:

• Protocols: All
    • WAN: WAN/LAN1
    • Source: IP Group containing my computer's IP
    • Destination: IP-Port-Group with any 80 and 443

Issue:

• When the option "Use the other WAN port if the current one is down" is disabled, my desktop correctly uses the Backup WAN/LAN1.
  • However, enabling this option results in my desktop only using the Primary WAN, contrary to my configuration.

I suspect this might be a bug, or perhaps there's an aspect of the UI that is not clearly explained.

The system setup is only a day old, and no other significant configurations have been made.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, or can anyone provide guidance on whether this is a bug or a configuration error on my part?

Thank you for your assistance.

Steve

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:[Bug] Policy Routing (5.13.23)-Solution
2024-01-31 16:39:20 - last edited 2024-02-01 07:02:30

@Hank21 

I came across this information in a different discussion as well. Internally, the backup WAN remains in an offline state as long as the primary WAN is operational.

However, in the device list (controller), the ER605 still displays WAN/LAN1 as online. In reality, it is indeed online, which is what caused my confusion.

I resolved the issue (although I'd still consider it almost a bug) by creating an additional rule after the WAN/LAN1 rule.

This new rule is set up to use the WAN connection in case WAN/LAN1 is actually down.

I'm hopeful that this solution will work, although I haven't tested it yet.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:[Bug] Policy Routing (5.13.23)
2024-01-29 08:49:06 - last edited 2024-01-29 08:50:09

Hi @stevets42,

stevets42 wrote

Issue:
  • When the option "Use the other WAN port if the current one is down" is disabled, my desktop correctly uses the Backup WAN/LAN1.
  • However, enabling this option results in my desktop only using the Primary WAN, contrary to my configuration.

Please check whether the Backup WAN is Online, if you have enabled the Link Backup, your backup WAN will remain inactive so it shows as "Offline" in the status.

If so, this is not an issue, it is normal. If you wanna achieve your needs, you shouldn't set the Link backup, keeping both WAN online is necessary.

Here is a helpful article for your reference: Common Questions About the Load Balancing, Link Backup(Failover) & Online Detection

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:[Bug] Policy Routing (5.13.23)-Solution
2024-01-31 16:39:20 - last edited 2024-02-01 07:02:30

@Hank21 

I came across this information in a different discussion as well. Internally, the backup WAN remains in an offline state as long as the primary WAN is operational.

However, in the device list (controller), the ER605 still displays WAN/LAN1 as online. In reality, it is indeed online, which is what caused my confusion.

I resolved the issue (although I'd still consider it almost a bug) by creating an additional rule after the WAN/LAN1 rule.

This new rule is set up to use the WAN connection in case WAN/LAN1 is actually down.

I'm hopeful that this solution will work, although I haven't tested it yet.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 269

Replies: 2

Tags

Policy Routing
Related Articles