Votes

Add DSCP Filtering by port to QOS

2024-02-05 12:33:55
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4

Please consider adding the ability to drop/re-tag packets for each WAN port based on the existing DSCP setting of packets received on the LAN ports.

I recently upgraded to your ER7206 device because the previous failover router could not keep up with the 1Gb internet connection. Your router does a fantastic job passing full 1Gb LAN<->WAN with NAT.

I am using your router as a failover device with a main router behind it that supports multiple VLANs, QOS, VPNs, DSCP tagging, packet filtering, etc which ultimately passes all internet traffic via NAT to your device WAN->LAN (so single source IP address).  With previous failover devices (EdgeRouter, etc), I was able to add port specific DSCP firewall rules to the WAN interfaces.

Currently the router behind your device tags packets on the Guest Wifi network using DSCP before passing them to that routers WAN port.

With previous devices, if the Gigabit internet connection was online (primary WAN), this specific DSCP tag was cleared by firewall rules for that port and the packets were passed to the Internet with no priority.
The backup WAN is a Cellular Modem, which has much less bandwidth.  With the previous devices I could filter/drop packets with this DSCP value from the backup WAN so only critical traffic passed over the Cellular backup connection.

Please consider adding port specific DSCP filtering and re-tagging to your firewall.   I am sure other users would find this beneficial when using backup WANs with limited bandwidth.

I also see you limit your current DSCP implementation to only detect the standard values, which you use to push packets into your QOS classes.   Would also request you allow for custom values in this feature which would allow users to tag/set/detect custom/non-standard values so filters can be created that do not interfere with standard VOIP DSCP tagging, etc.

Thanks,

Doug

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 77

Replies: 0

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.