DHCP - Option 138 with Dynamic DNS adress; not WANIP?

2024-02-05 22:07:44
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.26.3 Build 20230906 Rel.36269

Hi, omada experts.

I hope you have time to help a newbe on Omada setup & two sites? I've searched for answers on this, but have not succeed.

By visiting the user documentation / youtube & the community, I have got my OC-200 controller to handle my RemoteSite (200 km away from my) & HomeSite; handling 7 VLANs / Client VPN / Access Control Lists / Outside guest network for our small local community at the RemoteSite (due to lack of mobile coverage) etc.

The HomeSite router is initially set up to be controlled by the HW controller at RemoteSite, by entering the WANIP-address to the RemoteSite in the "Controlled by" Router-setup after reset. And I have configured the HomeSite DHCP/advanced option 138 in the OC-200 to point to the RemoteSite WANIP-address.

In a rush of happiness looking at everything working smothly at both sites, I decided that it was a time to update the firmware at 23.30 Saturday evening...
I tried the HomeSite AccessPoint first, but it failed (probably due to missing access to port 443 at RemoteSite).
Then I made the mistake to update the RemoteSite firmware - which isolated was a success - but (disaster!) the RemoteSite Router got a new WANIP-address. Which then led to loss of contact with the HomeSite Router. And (sitting at the HomeSite) I was not able to directly access the HomeSite Router, as it was "under control of the OC200" - now at the (old) wrong WANIP-address.
With lack of competence/own notes & long booting times it took me hours to reset&re-load the HomeSite configurations early Sunday morning. Waiting for daylight was not an option, as the the tenant in the basement uses the internet from 07 - 23.....

THE PROBLEM:
For reasons decribed above, I have now established a Dynamic DNS address using DuckDNS, and have two dns-names established, one for the RemoteSite (the config in the OC-200 updates the IP every 1 minute) and one for the HomeSite (updates IP every 1h). Hopefylly this is the way to go... but:

Q1: I need to input the DDNS address on the Option 138 input field - but it is formatted as an IP-address; how (or where) can I input my RemoteSite (dot) DuckDNS (dot) org address ?

Q2: The HomeSite Router was set up with the RemoteSite WANIP-address after reset. Is this information still in use after enabling the Option 138? If so, do I need to reset the HomeSite Router again and use the RemoteSite (dot) DuckDNS (dot) org-address instead of the WANIP-address?

Q3: Or do I have other options (sadly both my ISP's cannot offer a fixed WANIP) ??

Accesspoints/Switch/Router HW and version:
HomeSite:
AccessPoint EAP653(EU) v1.0 1.0.1
Switch TL-SG2008P v3.0 3.0.2
Router ER7206 v1.0 1.3.0

RemoteSite:
AccessPoint EAP653(EU) v1.0 1.0.12
AccessPoint EAP610-Outdoor(EU) v1.0 1.2.5
Router ER605 v2.0 2.2.4

Many thanks in advance,
Odd Erik

Options
3 Reply
Re:DHCP - Option 138 with Dynamic DNS adress; not WANIP?
2024-02-06 03:35:47 - last edited 2024-02-06 03:36:16

@OddErikD 

Hey, set the Dynamic DNS here, take a look.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2024-02-06 13:22:34

@Virgo 

My questions is how I can use Advanced "Option 138" with a Dynamic DNS address instead of the WANIP-address (that my ISP keeps changing):

I have already managed to set up the Dynamic DNS service successfully on both RemoteSite and HomeSite :-):

Options
2024-02-12 10:24:29

Answering myself:

TP-Link support states that DHCP/Advanced Option 138 is not suitable for my setup (my WANIP-addresses changes now and then),

and pointed me in the direction of method 1 in this document: How to manage Omada devices at different sites across Internet using Omada Controller | TP-Link

However, beeing 200 km away from the installation, option 1 is not practically possible for me (use a Windows/mac pc and run "Omada Discovery Utility" - also an re-occurring task for every site you want to add).

So I used option 2: initialize and login to every omada hardware and enter the dynamic DNS-address for the controller. This was a success in my case (however, I guess you will find it somewhat administrative if you have many accesspoints and switches). 

Some screenshots:

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 172

Replies: 3

Related Articles