What is best options for running a cabled connection in extension of an access point

What is best options for running a cabled connection in extension of an access point

2024-03-02 15:10:25
Model: EAP653  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, 

So I have a small Omada setup in my home consisting of an OC200 controller and 2 access points EAP653, both connected by cable from OC200. Now - I want to have a cabled connection that starts from one of the accesspoints and connects to my computer station positioned further away. The access point that I want to extend from does not have a separate power supply, but is powered through PoE. So question is how I best can set this up. Do I for example:

- use an simple ethernet splitter with one input port and 2 output ports, and connect as input the cable from OC 200 and then output 1. to the access point (short cable) and then second cable to my computer station? (in such case there will be PoE in the cable to the computer station - would that be a problem)

- buy an alternative access point which has 2 ethernet ports and use the access point as the place where I can run the extension? I like this better, if possible. Is so, which access point would be recommendable, preferably under $200

Thanks for advise 

Options
6 Reply
Re:What is best options for running a cabled connection in extension of an access point
2024-03-03 02:37:09

@karopega 

What about getting a PoE+ switch instead? An ethernet splitter will not work for sure.

Kris K
Options
Re:What is best options for running a cabled connection in extension of an access point
2024-03-03 05:58:52

karopega wrote

Hello, 

So I have a small Omada setup in my home consisting of an OC200 controller and 2 access points EAP653, both connected by cable from OC200. Now - I want to have a cabled connection that starts from one of the accesspoints and connects to my computer station positioned further away. The access point that I want to extend from does not have a separate power supply, but is powered through PoE. So question is how I best can set this up. Do I for example:

- use an simple ethernet splitter with one input port and 2 output ports, and connect as input the cable from OC 200 and then output 1. to the access point (short cable) and then second cable to my computer station? (in such case there will be PoE in the cable to the computer station - would that be a problem)

- buy an alternative access point which has 2 ethernet ports and use the access point as the place where I can run the extension? I like this better, if possible. Is so, which access point would be recommendable, preferably under $200

Thanks for advise 

@karopega 

if it is not too far away, you can buy another EAP653 and meshe, then you can output data to a PC from the EAP653 ethernet port which you can use for your PC. The EAP653 does not have power so the best thing is to use an EAP650, this access point comes with a power adapter.

Options
2024-03-03 11:29:50
So installing a second switch on location of my access point and then from there connect both existing and new access point? Can I get a small switch powered by PoE? so I dont have run power? which model could work?
Options
2024-03-03 11:32:37
The idea by having the computer connected by cable is to have a more stabile connection. I experience by video calls that sometimes the signal get unstabile. If I as you suggest buy another access point and connect it through mesh (i.e. not cable) and then connect my computer to that access point through cable, am I then better off? I mean that mesh is also wireless.
Options
2024-03-03 13:18:19

@karopega 

Yes, that's the idea and that's the usual course of action. I'm not current on the TP-Link switch offering so I can't make any recommendation. Maybe somebody else, perhaps the TP-Link support, can help you to select one.

Kris K
Options
2024-03-03 13:31:22 - last edited 2024-03-03 13:32:14

@KJK thanks. makes sense. I have only gotten myself involved in networking to the extend that I need it to get it going in my house. Hence some of the beginner questions :)

Options