Omada network: adding pharos wireless point to point connection

2024-03-05 12:33:40 - last edited 2024-03-06 00:58:45
Model: CPE710   SG2210P  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

New to TPLink, omada, and pharos.

I started new position and came into an existing omada stack.  I was tasked with adding two pharos cpe710s to wireless bridge a second building that has a unmanaged switch with 6 poe ip cameras.  

From instructions, multiple how-to videos, and other research, it should be as simple to configure ip on first 710, set it as ap mode, set wpa2 and psk and connect to switch.  Then on ap2 set ip, configure as client mode, survey and lock to first ap, set wpa2 and psk and should work.  They are connected, but when testing plugged in client to client side, it is not getting dhcp address across wireless point to point.  Even if I configure the client with an ip on same network, it cannot get across wireless and out to the internet.

Thoughts?  what additional information is needed?  If this should be in a different forum, let please let me know.

Thanks,

jdsn2g

Options
3 Reply
Re:Omada network: adding pharos wireless point to point connection
2024-03-06 02:28:55

Hi @jdsn2g 
Thanks for posting in our business forum.
Did you survey and join the AP? Or did you simply put up the info instead of scanning the AP SSID and joining it?

Do you find information of link speed on the page of the Client CPE? If there is no link speed, you did not even join the SSID from AP.

You are telling the correct steps but somewhere must be wrong.

And, AP CPE should be connected to a router with DHCP enabled. You can test the AP SSID with your cellphone first.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-03-06 14:25:01

@Clive_A 

Thanks for the reply.

Did you survey and join the AP?

-Yes.  Client mode set.  Survey, finds AP CPE and choose 'Lock to AP'

Or did you simply put up the info instead of scanning the AP SSID and joining it?

-No

Do you find information of link speed on the page of the Client CPE?  If there is no link speed, you did not even join the SSID from AP.

-That I do not recall.  I did see tx/rx in graph

And, AP CPE should be connected to a router with DHCP enabled. You can test the AP SSID with your cellphone first.

-Correct.  AP CPE is connected to omada switch which is configured to serve dhcp for that network.  This AP CPE is actually set to dhcp and gets an ip from dhcp.  I was able to connect to point to point ssid from my laptop and get out to the internet.  So the AP CPE is working.  The issue is on the client AP side.  If I connect to lan port in POE injector with my laptop and try to do ipconfig /release  and /renew to get a dhcp address, it is not happening.  The network the AP CPE is on is vlan1 and port is set to ALL profile.  (I do not see a place to set port as either client or trunk explicitly.  On the other side the client AP will just be plugged into an unmanaged switch along with ip cameras.

Also, if I change the client AP to dhcp, it does not pick up dhcp from across the link from AP CPE either.

Other things we have tried (which should be set anyways):  set distance to 1km, set timezone and dst settings.  

It could because time is not updated on client AP cause it has not connected to internet yet.  Will keep that in mind for next visit for troubleshooting.

Will plan on doing normal troubleshooting steps including updating firmware, physical tests, connectivity tests, etc.

Found this doc that outlines troubleshooting too:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2575/

thanks,

jdsn2g

Options
2024-03-07 01:58:31

Hi @jdsn2g 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

jdsn2g wrote

@Clive_A 

Thanks for the reply.

Did you survey and join the AP?

-Yes.  Client mode set.  Survey, finds AP CPE and choose 'Lock to AP'

Or did you simply put up the info instead of scanning the AP SSID and joining it?

-No

Do you find information of link speed on the page of the Client CPE?  If there is no link speed, you did not even join the SSID from AP.

-That I do not recall.  I did see tx/rx in graph

If you are positive about these, then it is not a problem with the AP or Client. It seems to be DHCP then.

jdsn2g wrote

-Correct.  AP CPE is connected to omada switch which is configured to serve dhcp for that network.  This AP CPE is actually set to dhcp and gets an ip from dhcp.  I was able to connect to point to point ssid from my laptop and get out to the internet.  So the AP CPE is working.  The issue is on the client AP side.  If I connect to lan port in POE injector with my laptop and try to do ipconfig /release  and /renew to get a dhcp address, it is not happening.  The network the AP CPE is on is vlan1 and port is set to ALL profile.  (I do not see a place to set port as either client or trunk explicitly.  On the other side the client AP will just be plugged into an unmanaged switch along with ip cameras.

Also, if I change the client AP to dhcp, it does not pick up dhcp from across the link from AP CPE either.

Other things we have tried (which should be set anyways):  set distance to 1km, set timezone and dst settings.  

It could because time is not updated on client AP cause it has not connected to internet yet.  Will keep that in mind for next visit for troubleshooting.

Will plan on doing normal troubleshooting steps including updating firmware, physical tests, connectivity tests, etc.

Found this doc that outlines troubleshooting too:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2575/

thanks,

jdsn2g

So far, you are doing things right. Don't see any specific errors in it. DHCP does not seem to be a problem as you have verified the WIFI from the AP.

I recommend you call the technical support when you do a visit next time. And report what you see instantly and get feedback from the rep instantly.

I hope you can pay attention to RX/TX on the info page which is important. It determines if it is connected to the AP or not. So, look for it when you are there. If no data, you need to redo the survey and connect things.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 133

Replies: 3

Related Articles